Germany
Re: Represent

9 Years ATC Air Force
2000-2002 Beale AFB
2001-2002 Al-Udeid
2002-2003 Kunsan AB
2003-2005 Kadena AB
2005-2008 Ramstein AB Tower and Combat Comm
2008-present Vance AFB(looks like I am not cut out for radar)
Future hope to pick up a middle east job when I get out next year

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008

OTS in St. Louis applicant waiting on my TOL for DCA

I don't have any ATC experience (obviously) but do have a decent aviation background.

I don't hate the white sox or the cubs...I just find baseball irrelevant (I'm a football guy)

DeuceKV

Nov 18, 2008
Kentucky

Currently at Purdue getting my CTI. Took the AT-SAT on Nov. 4, 2008: 100. Hoping for ZID. Really hope I get an offer from them!

CL4TKoff

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2008
Sunny South Florida

BS in Aeronautics & CTI - Dowling College,NY
No aviation experience.
Absolutely respect controllers for their work
Would love to be part of this exciting and intense career
I'm an ATC geek (Listen to liveatc.net anytime i can)
Future - ATCer in FL and I want to get Private and Instrument

Wrooster

Jun 22, 2008

20 Years and 13 days AF
Tower and Radar

5 state side bases
1 tour in the Azores 1 in Honduras(best short in the military)
5 tours in the desert
Now DOD

Dunia

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008

six years USAF--Columbus AFB Tower, seperated May 08
July 08, TOL Miami ARTCC--declined
October 08, TOL CVG--Accepted and very excited!!
Currently enrolled in masters degree program and trying to hold out for a January academy date. Turned down two start dates thus far...will probably accept the next one and be on my way!
Why would you decline Miami ARTCC?? Thats where want to end up!! Is there a reason? I just don't want to end up at a horrible facility!

nickp33

Dec 7, 2008
Kennesaw, GA

Georgia- OTS
8/2008- Applied
12/2008- Received email notification to take AT-SAT
1/10/2009- AT-SAT

I grew up in a small town in Griffin, GA. It was about 5 miles away from ZTL. I had NUMEROUS friends whos Dad's were ATC. The job has always interested me. After I graduated college, I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to give this whole ATC thing a try. I applied to Miami Dade CTI program and was accepted. Only problem.....I got married about 3 months before I was to enroll. We visited Miami serveral times, but I never felt comforatable moving my wife to one of the crappy neighborhoods we would have had to live in at the time. I gave up on that idea and started a different career. Now I have a good job in an industry I really enjoy but I decided to apply to the FAA anyway in Aug. I had pretty much forgot about the application because I never heard back. Last week I received a notification to take the AT-SAT. I'm really looking forward to the experiance. I'm hoping for the tower at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport or the ZTL Center.

Jeeper

Rookie
Aug 29, 2008

Why would you decline Miami ARTCC?? Thats where want to end up!! Is there a reason? I just don't want to end up at a horrible facility!
I declined Miami ARTCC for a few different reasons. Mainly because of the pay compared to cost of living index, and the developmental training environment. From what I have heard, the training program at ZMA is terrible. Some trainees have been backed up for over a year at this facility just tryin to start the initial OJT. That means rippin' strips for you first year making 39000 in Miami. Then it'll probably take you a good year or so to get your first raise, so that means your first two years making 39000 in Miami. After three years you'll probably be making around ~50000-60000. The housing market is still high in this area, so you will probably have to commute a good three hours per day (there and back with traffic) in order to be able to afford decent housing in a good school district. So for me and my family, I decided to go somewhere that I could afford to live comfortably right off the bat. This way, any pay raise will be icing on the cake rather than a necessity to live.

I hope this helps your decision. But remember, you have to do what is right for you. If location is your primary objective, it doesn't get too much better than Miami!! And it's a level 11, so eventually you'll be making decent money. Good luck...

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Navy VRA 5 years (CTO & Radar)
8/8/2008 ZOA resignee
8/2008 on Referral list for NY TR-not selected
8/2008 on Referral list for VA CT-not selected
Still applying & waiting.............