Represent - whats your background

aviator

Jun 18, 2008
NH
Re: Represent

OTS applicant.
Currently manager of SOC (dispatch) for a major.
Been working in aviation for 13 yrs.
TOL for ZTL.

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com

been around planes all my life. (both parents are retired Delta (dad a pilot))
BS in Aviation Mgt
24 hours in a 172 (yeah, not a lot)
applied OTS (see below)

hoping for just about anything in these cites (in no order), SEA, PHX, ATL, LAS, D.C., SLC
prefer TRACON first, then ATCT, then ARTCC

KDskylark

Dec 7, 2008
LA

CTI/OTS 2 routes to get to the same spot.
Needed to get in under the age limit.
Tons of operational experience with Airlines... both ATL and JFK.
Private Pilot with instrument rating.
Headed to MCI tower.
Tentative class date for Feb. 09

skiburt22

Newcomer
Dec 10, 2008
Butler, PA

Graduated CCBC 2004
hired at ZTL april 2006
resigned oct 2007 because I didn't like the geographic area and couldn't transfer
currently King Air pilot with 3000 hrs
applied for CTO, Reinstatement, and PUBNAT 5,6,7
trying to go terminal preferbly CMH, RDU, or COS

Any Questions about ZTL I can probably answer. My brother still works there

Josean

Newcomer
Sep 21, 2008
Puerto Rico

I started to do the CTI in the Interamerican University in Puerto Rico but could not finished it because of my job at TJSJ. I have been working for 4 years in operations in Avitat San Juan FBO. I have been in TJSJ tower a couple of times and I felt in love with ATC. I am currently finishing my bachelors in Management for University of Phoenix.

Dunia

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008

I went to Navy ATC A school and graduated back in 2006. Now I am applying OTS since I only have this training and no actual experience.

06/30/2008: Applied PUBNAT 4, 5, 6, 7
09/1/2008: Authorized AT-SAT:
09/11/2008: AT-SAT Score 90.3
11/26/2008: Geo Pref email -Hopefully FL
Patiently waiting...

Walt

Rookie
Aug 22, 2008
NW Georgia

Two B.S. Degrees-Auburn University (non aviation)
Started flying in 2006-fell in love with aviation
PPL-90 hrs
Applied OTS-Pubnat 4, 6, 7
ATSAT(qualified), submitted geo preferences
Hoping for terminal in TN or AL

nickp33

Dec 7, 2008
Kennesaw, GA

They are severely understaffed and are forcing ATCs to work overtime, but you will not become fully certified, if you are an OTS applicant with no prior ATC experience, and you go to A80 right off the bat. Trust me, don't go to A80 right off the bat because your job security is zero. It would be best to hope for ZTL or apply for ZME and then bid for A80 when you have ATC experience.
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll definitly shoot for ZTL. I guess I'll put Florida as my other georgraphic preferance. Would jax or miami be better than Memphis? I clearly want to stay in the Southeast, and Atlanta if possible.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

I don't know about the number of CPCs and trainees at certain facilities, but I do know that both PDK and ATL are overstaffed from the numbers they were authorized to have from what I have been told.
u were probably told by FAA management of some sort. they add trainees with no certifications to their numbers. unusable bodies look good on paper (for FAA purposes) but their worthless for the operation. again, i highly doubt their OVERstaffed. don't let FAA manglement blind u. they've done it to Congress already.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

I was told by very high up FAA management
exactly. all lies, or misleading truths. FAA manglement has had to justify to Congress the mess were in. their biggest lies has to do with manning. they hire a bunch of off the street people and tell Congress that facilities are overstaffed now. when in reality there are a major shortage in CONTROLLERS.

Tigger

Newcomer
Dec 11, 2008
Houston

I was told by very high up FAA management of facilities that were overstaffed and ones that were looking for hires. ATL and PDK were not part of the discussion for facilities looking for hires.
First time poster, 20+ years ATCS at ZHU. There are no ARTCC's overstaffed, taking into consideration retirements over the next three years. Some may be taking fewer than others, but nobody is overstaffed in the Centers. Towers like ATL with high pay and good locales usually try to fill with promotions from lower-level facilities, hence fewer trainees. No such thing as a lower-level center to promote from.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

I disagree only because this guy was a controller with my dad at ATL. I believe his recommendations and thoughts were genuine and true.
friend or not, he's not necessarily lying to u. he's just telling u misleading truths. he's counting all the 100's of useless developmentals in his system. that's all i'm saying. they are NOT OVERSTAFFED. ask ur dad.

u do realize the FAA changed the staffing numbers when this crisis first started right? one day 350 controllers at a center was required. the next day only 240-290 are acceptable. so when a facility was understaffed the day prior with only 300 CPC's, the following day they were overstaffed. all because the FAA changed the acceptable numbers needed. hmmm....

hiring people off the side of the street should be ur first clue that facilities are NOT OVERstaffed.

workerbee

Newcomer
Dec 6, 2008
Texas

I find it amusing that everyone is talking about the staffing shortage, yet it is such a huge pain in the butt to get the training and become certified.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

I find it amusing that everyone is talking about the staffing shortage, yet it is such a huge pain in the butt to get the training and become certified.
it's a pain in the butt cuz there isn't enough CPC's in order to train the new guys. CPC's are too busy working overtime to train people up. when your working overtime constantly then your combining positions. when positions are combining you can't train as much.

where are u at workerbee? just wondering cuz if your not getting trained as quick as you would like, it's because there's a staffing shortage. just ask those guys at Miami Center. it's taking them a year at the facility to even start training.

almcc26

Newcomer
Nov 4, 2008
dallas,tx

Former Marine - 5 years (ATC Radar Maintenance)
Been in the accounting field for the last 4 years

Now waiting on my FOL and school date for ZFW....I know, its a long wait!!!

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

I never said ZTL was overstaffed. ATL and PDK are most definitely not looking for hires right now, especially OTS applicants. To me, that means they are at, near, or over 100% of what they need for those facilities. If any facility is going to be overstaffed, I am sure that ATL would be that facility.
ATL or not i still doubt it. their not gonna take OTS at the busiest airport in the nation. they won't get FAA transfers cuz nobody is gonna transfer to a busy airport and take a pay cut. that leaves CTI and VRA. i doubt they took too many of those either. so i still would say that ATL is not overstaffed. they might be "overstaffed" by the official numbers that the FAA changed to help decieve congress. but they add in developmentals to those inflated numbers and use the new lower "acceptable" staffing numbers instead of what they really need to run that facility.

RobertB,
i apologize if it seems like i'm attacking you. i don't intend to, and it's nothing personal towards you. it just burns me at the tactics of the FAA to deceive Congress and make it seem like there is not a staffing crisis across the board. it's hard to deny the fact that there is a major shortage of controllers. there's a chance a handful of facilities are staffed quite nicely (even based off the old staffing numbers) and ATL just might be one of those. although i highly doubt it. i don't have any concrete numbers or proof for my claim.

workerbee

Newcomer
Dec 6, 2008
Texas

It took forever (around 6 months) to just receive access to the AT-SAT. I'm taking it on Monday (so wish me luck there). Really, I'm going to be looking around in Texas for anything that is available. I just want to get out there and start work. I'm hoping something is open in San Antonio or Austin, but will be willing to do Dallas and Fort Worth, even El Paso.