Resources for Aspiring ATCs?

ATCprospect10

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
I am an attorney who is considering a career change to ATC. I want to learn as much about the application and training process as possible. Can you please direct me to resources that may help? Also, can anyone discuss the methodology by which FAA accepts candidates? With such a low acceptance rate to the FAA Academy, I am wondering if I will be competitive.

Seawolf0602

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2018
Im headed to the academy in June. I have no prior ATC experience. after applying they contacted me within a couple months and i went and took the test. It was pretty difficult but if you can control your nerves you can do well. I went through the process of hiring fairly quick, medical clearance, drug test, psych, and background check. If you get through all of that they send you a date for the beginning of the academy. Its in OKC for 3-4 months. The FAA will pay for lodging and other expenses to a point. Im looking for forward to it and im just hoping i can focus throughout the entire Academy and come out with a passing grade. Good Luck to you!!!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I am an attorney who is considering a career change to ATC. I want to learn as much about the application and training process as possible. Can you please direct me to resources that may help? Also, can anyone discuss the methodology by which FAA accepts candidates? With such a low acceptance rate to the FAA Academy, I am wondering if I will be competitive.
First things first, how old are you? The maximum age for a new hire without prior ATC experience is 31.

ATCprospect10

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
Im headed to the academy in June. I have no prior ATC experience. after applying they contacted me within a couple months and i went and took the test. It was pretty difficult but if you can control your nerves you can do well. I went through the process of hiring fairly quick, medical clearance, drug test, psych, and background check. If you get through all of that they send you a date for the beginning of the academy. Its in OKC for 3-4 months. The FAA will pay for lodging and other expenses to a point. Im looking for forward to it and im just hoping i can focus throughout the entire Academy and come out with a passing grade. Good Luck to you!!!
Have they already taken applications for 2018?