Retired Military ATC to FAA

chkwheelsdwn

Jun 8, 2009
Osan AFB, Korea
Im currently in the airforce and im trying to decide if I should get out and go FAA or commit myself to the airforce. Now I know the FAA used to have the phoneix 20 program but to my understanding its now that anyone who retires can get picked up and work any facility and is not capped at 69k(or whatever the cap of pay was). All I've heard is stuff from people that know people so no one has been completly sure of what its all about. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks

KiloRomeo2

Newcomer
Aug 30, 2009
If you retire from the military you'll be over the age limit to be hired under any program in the FAA except the Retired Military Controller (RMC) job announcement. RMC placed Phoenix 20. You're hired as a 5 year term employee and your term can be renewed in (I believe) 5 year increments. You can't go past 56 yrs of age without a waiver (leaves you short of 20 yrs needed for full retirement).
Whenever the next RMC announcement comes out, it'll have all the information in it.

chkwheelsdwn

Jun 8, 2009
Osan AFB, Korea
One more question, does my time in the airforce count towards retirement in the FAA or would I be starting from scratch joining the FAA after retiring from the AF?

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Dont mean to highjack the thread.. But I just got picked up by the FAA.. Did 9 years in the AF. I plan on buyin back my time right away. Does this help toward senoirty. Example say a CTI got hired 2 months before me but I buy back my 9 years... Will I be infront of him? Or behind?

Kabar

Rookie
Apr 8, 2009
SUX
I believe seniority is based on Bargaining Unit time, so even if you buy back your military time it does not help your seniority. If so I could move ahead of 3-4 clowns here.

vm2152

Sep 10, 2008
One more question, does my time in the airforce count towards retirement in the FAA or would I be starting from scratch joining the FAA after retiring from the AF?
If you retire, that time doesn't count. Retired guys don't even get to claim the six hours leave per pay period, instead they receive 4 hrs like a fresh kid off the street. The idea it that the time can't count toward two retirements (or benefits for that matter). I'm at a DOD facility, our two most junior guys are our two retired AF guys.