RTF pass/pass of pass/fail?

baileyaye

Jan 6, 2011
SL,UT
Pass pass. You can only have one pass/fail course and the first time you're at the academy was that one time.

Source: word of mouth from RTF students.

brn2flyguy

Newcomer
Feb 18, 2010
I have heard from our local NATCA president that the first time you attend the Academy it is pass/fail, and that any and all subsequent classes you attend at the Academy are pass/pass. I was told it had to do with the the fact that the Academy is stage 1 of training and once you've passed it the first time, even if you are sent back to the Academy--say because you are being reassigned to the terminal option as is often the case--you cannot fail because it's still considered stage 1 which you have already passed once.

JumperBones

Reft crosed trafficah
Dec 22, 2008
Too sixah reft
Honestly that sounds about right - a good example of this is the recent reversal of two PATCO rehires' reinstatement following successful arbitration. They were rehired, failed the PV for whichever course they were in, and were terminated by the agency like a new-hire would be...except for that they're not new-hires, and the arbitrator agreed. So they're getting reinstatement plus back pay.

Ice_cold656

Epic Member
Jun 12, 2010
Bout to be out this B
Jesus, ya know what isn't a rumor! ESPN is spending a shit ton of time covering Nelson Mandela. Like, Really? I watch Sportscenter to not have to hear about bla bla bla.

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
It was Pass/Pass 4 years ago when I went and they were talking about making it pass/fail then too.

"They've" always been talking about making it pass/fail. Right down to tweaking sims and everything. It's a long lasting rumor. Until it's not, I guess.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
I'm at the academy... it's still pass/pass at this moment but in the 3 days I've been here I've heard it will be moving to pass/fail from a few people including at least one supervisor/instructor.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
If they made rtf pass/fail it would only apply to new hires. Any controllers coming from an up/down for rtf wouldn't be pass/fail. Along with controllers coming from a different option like center or tower only. Just new hires going straight to a tracon would be held to the pass/fail setup.