Salt Lake Center - ZLC

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City
Just was wondering if anyone has any information about the Salt Lake Center. Hows the life there? Anything I should be looking out for as a newbie when I get there? :willy:

RogerRoger

Newcomer
Jun 21, 2008
USA
Re: Salt Lake Center

I'm at the TRACON in SLC. Salt Lake City is a nice place to live. It's a very clean city compared to others. If you like to ski or snowboard.....this is the place.

I've heard SLC Center is a great place to work a while back from some guys training there.

tinpusher

Rookie
Dec 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, Ut
I recently got selected for ZLC and I was wondering if anyone out there currently works there or has in the past? I've read a lot of threads where people said good and bad things about their facilities and I was just curious about my future place of employment.

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Re: Questions about ZLC?

I have not worked there, but have known several that have. Looks like you are from that area so I would have to guess that the main thing I heard anyone say that they did not like was the difference in culture and religion should not affect you. I am not even sure the several I knew even said that was bad just different or at worst "not my cup of tea".

I heard nothing bad about the center itself, just huge sectors and slowwww traffic. I have heard all sorts of things about most every other center, be it this center is busy or this one has bad management or this one is in a bad part of town, I have never heard anything bad about ZLC.

TheMan555

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009

So how does this work when you select your preference for cities to live? Im from the Salt Lake area and own a house here already. What are the chances im going to stay around here if I put it as my top choice?

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City

Right now there are 7 of us in training in OKC to go to Salt Lake City. I am the only one out of the 7 that did not live in SLC. So I would say its pretty good. I would suggest talking to your HR person or even the training director at the facility you want to work at; tower, tracon, or the center and see if there are openings there.

Meaghan_A

Newcomer
Dec 23, 2008
Houston, TX

I agree with apegler... however I'm not sure if it is the training director you would want to talk to. When I got my test scores back from the AT-SAT I was set up for an interview with the HUB manager in the area I wanted to work at. He oversees all of the facilities in this area. The thing that worked out nice was he knew that I wanted to stay in the same City so after the interview he chose where he thought I would be best at and the he pulled whatever strings he had to pull and I am staying here!

TheMan555

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009

Where would I find the contact information for the HUB manager in Salt Lake area then?
Thanks for you help.

TheMan555

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009

Thanks for the info! For you guys heading to Salt Lake what facility are you going to? ZLC? SLC? S56? Any knowledge about the staffing levels here? Everywhere I look and find info about them its a year or two out of date as far as how many controllers are currently their and if they are close to being fully staffed.
Im sure when I talk to the HUB manager then I will get a good idea of what is going to be available.

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City

My class is ending in May. The 7 of us that are in the class are all going to ZLC. To be honest I don't know that staffing levels are. It was my first choice though, even though its a move across the country.So there were openings when I applied.

Nofear

Newcomer
Oct 11, 2008
Salt lake city, Utah

ZLC update. I know there 2 of us that have training dates march 26th headed to zLC. I heard recently that they have stopped hiring at ZLC and they haven't hired in a few months for tower or tracon. It is a nice area to live and relatively decent cost of living although SLC is probably the most expensive place to live in utah except maybe park city or st. george.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX

ZLC update. I know there 2 of us that have training dates march 26th headed to zLC. I heard recently that they have stopped hiring at ZLC and they haven't hired in a few months for tower or tracon. It is a nice area to live and relatively decent cost of living although SLC is probably the most expensive place to live in utah except maybe park city or st. george.
I think Trovan is in ZLC training at Academy as we speak, just started a month ago.

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City

Yeah I know in my class right now there are 6 of us going to ZLC and I know of at least 2 in another class. They did freeze the hiring process for all three options in SLC.

Trovan

Rookie
Jan 9, 2009
SLC, UT
cedenullis.com

apegler and I are in the same class. There are 5 more in the class 2 weeks behind us, and some more, though I'm not sure how many, in a class a few weeks ahead of us.

We met the training coordinator for ZLC a few weeks ago. She say that ZLC was blocked from selecting any new hires in Jan, but that she would be back in Feb, so I'm not sure it counts as a hiring freeze.

TheMan555

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009

Where did you hear that they froze the hiring? Just curious since this is the place i am trying to go and will definantly change all my plans if so. Have people heard of this happening at places in the past? Is it usaully a 6 month, 1 year, 3 year, etc... thing or what?

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City

Yeah she said that they are frozen right now for at least 4 months, I asked her on the side haha. There are a few centers that are frozen right now.

TheMan555

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009

Okay thanks! I guess 4 months isn't that bad. Just means I will have to wait even longer and there will be even a bigger bottle neck of people trying to get in. Oh well the joys of waiting. Hopefully it all works out.