Salt Lake Center - ZLC

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
Hey Everyone,

Can anyone shed some light on the current staffing levels at ZLC? I'm really hoping to be picked up here this next selection panel and was curious if anyone had any insite on what the current staffing levels are or the current need for new controllers? Thanks so much!!

aviator657

Newcomer
Aug 9, 2009
Ha! You can't. They don't let anyone in this place. Not even people we've hired with academy dates that have passed their security clearance. Unless you're a pilot. Then you're good. Joe-Shit-The-Cropduster can come hang out but out prospective employees must wait.
Yes!!! I am in luck! ;)

breaknow

Rookie
Sep 2, 2010
Any ZLC controllers active on here? If so, how's the current staffing levels, training process, and morale? Also, is the wait to see OKC 2+ years?

Purdue157

Rookie
Sep 4, 2011
got my TOL for ZLC 3/21/11. Born and raised in Heber City, went to school at Purdue. graduated 5/15/11 been missing the mountains and home for 8 years now. Almost cried when I found out I got selected for Salt Lake. Cant wait to move back to the motherland and ski my brains out for the next 60 years.

Controlador

Rookie
Mar 24, 2010
That's exciting Purdue! Congrats. I miss the warm Utah Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons. I live in Alaska and have been here for almost three years, the winters are very harsh and long. They make Utah winters appear mild. I will miss Alaska though in many respects when we return to Utah. I grew up in Roosevelt, and Provo. Excited to live in SLC.

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
Is ZLC putting out any bids or taking ERR's any time soon?

Where do ZLC controllers generally live?

You guys that work at ZLC pretty happy?

kunzjob

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2015
salt lake
Sugarhouse or Park City if you're young, single, and like going out. Draper/Suncrest if you're older with a family. Provo if you're Mormon.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
How was living in Provo?
LOL

Add South Jordan and West Jordan to the list, too. Stay out of Magna, West Salt Lake, Rose Park, Taylorsville. Parts of Sandy can be real nice.
Commute from Draper should be about 40 minutes max as long as there's no snow or accidents.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
LOL

Add South Jordan and West Jordan to the list, too. Stay out of Magna, West Salt Lake, Rose Park, Taylorsville. Parts of Sandy can be real nice.
Commute from Draper should be about 40 minutes max as long as there's no snow or accidents.
when I read about the cities you mention in CA and UT and consider your time in ATC. It really seems like my story. It's a trip dude.

planenutzz

Nov 24, 2013
Have been to the salt lake area many times. it is beautiful and the surrounding town are nice.

jimmydee

Jan 8, 2014
I live in West Jordan and work at zlc as a RPO. And I've lived in utah almost all my life. if anyone has questions about where to live, I have some answers.