Salt Lake Center - ZLC

drewlsv

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2009
San Diego
I live in West Jordan and work at zlc as a RPO. And I've lived in utah almost all my life. if anyone has questions about where to live, I have some answers.
Thanks for offering some of your insight. Mid 30's couple with a child (not school age, school ratings not an issue) looking for a neighborhood to rent in close to some retail (grocery, coffee, etc), less than a 30 min commute to work, near parks, and not downwind from factories. Let me know what neighborhoods you would suggest. Also, what is your opinion on the new areas of west valley city, north salt lake, and sandy?

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Thanks for offering some of your insight. Mid 30's couple with a child (not school age, school ratings not an issue) looking for a neighborhood to rent in close to some retail (grocery, coffee, etc), less than a 30 min commute to work, near parks, and not downwind from factories. Let me know what neighborhoods you would suggest. Also, what is your opinion on the new areas of west valley city, north salt lake, and sandy?
Stay out of WVC and NSLC unless that's all you can afford. Drive through the neighborhood at night if that's the case. I mean, it ain't Baltimore, but there are a few rougher neighborhoods where you might not want your family to be. And there still is crime, all the stuff any big city has.
Sandy was decent when I was there about 10 years ago. Now...I don't know. We lived there for a year and it was plenty quiet and safe.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Around Jordan landing in West Jordan off Bangerter Highway. Has all that.

Good schools too. They are year round rotation for school there too. Good views of SLC at night.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
NSL probably isn't bad but I'd take a good look at it, because parts of it aren't great. And it's really close to the airport.

Steven909

Rookie
Mar 25, 2015
Look up stansbury park. They have a good school, and parks, and good neighborhoods. It's about a 20 min drive to the airport

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Look up stansbury park. They have a good school, and parks, and good neighborhoods. It's about a 20 min drive to the airport
I lived there as a kid in the mid 80's and can affirm it is the last American frontier for kids. My mother and father both at the time worked at SLC Tower and it was a bit further of a drive but traffic is nil. Can be a tough drive in bad weather at times. If your family quality of live is main priority, it's worth a gander.

It's a community worth living in for sure. Toole is 12 miles away and the closest main shopping unless they have added to it since I was there last in 2010. Google earth it. If my wife was good with it and was sent to SLC I'd go there for the family.

Live on golf course!

jimmydee

Jan 8, 2014
I actually live up on Jordan Landing. It's.... ok. The rule of thumb is, the closer to the middle of the valley you go, to more ghetto it becomes. If you are up on the benches of the mountains (draper, east sandy area) its very nice, but $$$. so the other option is to look west. avoid the middle ground! kerns, murry, west valley, and west Jordan get pretty dumpy. however, west Jordan is kind of nice if you look very west. The farther west you go, the more new the houses/neighbor hoods are. some communities out there are just beginning. Day Break is one for example, nice area. just feels kind of eerie to me. It's quiet up there. too quiet. Anyone else get the same feeling?

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZLC is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe (a year from now)?

jimmydee

Jan 8, 2014
ZLC is slated for exactly 0 trainees for all of fiscal year 2016. It will be roughly January 2017 - ish when SLC gets more trainees (if that)

jimmydee

Jan 8, 2014
I'm in the same boat. ZLC was my first pick. It's looking like the possibility for 2016 are: anchorage, guam, LA, Oakland, Forte Worth, Houston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Atlanta, Memphis, Miami, Chicago, New York. Not all of those will be on the list at the same time, but most trainees have been reporting some combination of these locations on their lists. So... here's to hoping for Texas... or a miracle. Let's just start with getting to the academy eh?

JTACula

Rookie
Mar 31, 2015
ZLC is slated for exactly 0 trainees for all of fiscal year 2016. It will be roughly January 2017 - ish when SLC gets more trainees (if that)
I've been looking for that list for 2 days now. I found it before, where is it posted?

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in the same boat. ZLC was my first pick. It's looking like the possibility for 2016 are: anchorage, guam, LA, Oakland, Forte Worth, Houston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Atlanta, Memphis, Miami, Chicago, New York. Not all of those will be on the list at the same time, but most trainees have been reporting some combination of these locations on their lists. So... here's to hoping for Texas... or a miracle. Let's just start with getting to the academy eh?
Really, people have reported LA? That was my original first choice because I already live in Palmdale, but I had previously read that LA wasn't taking new hires (though they should). I used to think it would be fun to go to Guam, but started thinking about it more and realized I'd probably be sick of being stuck on a small island after a few months lol. So aside from LA, I'll be hoping for Texas as well. But yeah, I'm just anxious to get my class date at this point. No sense in worrying too much about location, since there's no way to predict what we'll be offered.

tegsr94

Newcomer
Sep 8, 2009
Hello ZLC peeps. I'm a relatively new CPC at a lvl 12 center thinking about transferring to ZLC with my wife. We would love to go to Denver, but it seems impossible to get in there. I'm curious, is it feasible to live in Park City area and commute to the center? Also, how bad is this whole "smog" issue during the winter?

Merri

Newcomer
Sep 15, 2015
I live in salt lake right now and the smog is very nasty during the winter months when there is continuous days of high pressure. I love everything else about the area though! The population is increasing like crazy and it's just getting worse. You can't even see the mountains today.

mrmcnichols

Rookie
May 30, 2015
Just to confirm that leaves the Following Centers accepting 0 Trainees this year: New Mexico, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Boston, Virginia, Jacksonville, Salt Lake, Denver, Seattle.