Same enroute map?

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
They currently use the zdc sector 17 map. Hope this helps!
YOu couldnt be further from the truth if you said they use the PCT map.... Dont try to :p:p:p:p people.

Yes, that map is pretty much what you need. Just realize that even if you end up in MEM17/06 that is not the real map just the one they play for academy students. Study this like crazy and you will know 'the map' :D

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
Yes, that map is pretty much what you need. Just realize that even if you end up in MEM17/06 that is not the real map just the one they play for academy students. Study this like crazy and you will know 'the map' :D
Yeah, just ask anyone in the south area (the area 66 is in) here at ZME what their map is really like. It makes the academy one look like child's play. :D

nicholelm

Sep 19, 2011
I'll be going to ZJX. I realize that actual facility maps are much more complicated. I'm assuming the Academy maps are solely there to determine if the students are capable of learning. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for at the Academy.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
YOu couldnt be further from the truth if you said they use the PCT map.... Dont try to :p:p:p:p people.

Mem17/06? What's that?

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
I'll be going to ZJX. I realize that actual facility maps are much more complicated. I'm assuming the Academy maps are solely there to determine if the students are capable of learning. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for at the Academy.
Well, it isn't simply for the sake to see if you're capable of learning the map, but rather to ensure you have a good working knowledge of your airspace.

Don't sweat the academy map though, it is pretty easy to learn. To be quite frank, most of the facility maps aren't that bad either if you break it down into segments and learn one segment (all of the airways, for instance) at a time. I think it took me about 5-6 days to learn the low altitude map for my area.

Mryenko

Oct 18, 2010
ZMA
Don't sweat the academy map though, it is pretty easy to learn. To be quite frank, most of the facility maps aren't that bad either if you break it down into segments and learn one segment (all of the airways, for instance) at a time. I think it took me about 5-6 days to learn the low altitude map for my area.
This is key. Even maps that have seemingly been puked on by the airspace department become easy if you take smaller bites. (ZMA66/67 comes to mind, here...)

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
I got bored and fired up illustrator then traced the JPG map into a vector file. This way it can be scaled up for printing regardless of size and just looks better.
Do you have it layered with Illustrator? I want to be able to turn off and on the layers to study the different parts... EX: Airways only and then turn on the VORs to know where they are. At our school we used overhead sheets to draw them and then stacked them on top of each other to complete the map. Worked great!!

If you have the Illustrator file, post it and I will make the layers for everyone to use. I'll group everything nicely.

Last edited:

deansouthpaw

Mar 31, 2011
Chicago, IL
Do you have it layered with Illustrator? I want to be able to turn off and on the layers to study the different parts... EX: Airways only and then turn on the VORs to know where they are. At our school we used overhead sheets to draw them and then stacked them on top of each other to complete the map. Worked great!!
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to fool around with Illustrator to see if I can do this before I get down there.

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
^Hahaha.

No hard feelings. I am a web/graphic designer at a large hotel chain in Orlando. It's all good. You did most of work. Organizing will be easy. I will post it later tonight or tomorrow. Great cooperation!!! :)

fabby82

Apr 22, 2010
California
Try this. Im at work and cant open it but thats a link to my working copy in my dropbox folder. I want to say its mostly organized.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what im doing in illistrator so dont complain if you are a graphic designer ;)
Alpha, your link doesn't seem to be working for me.

bwood524

Rookie
May 16, 2010
Hawaii
yea it would be really cool to be able to turn on/off certain portions of the map while trying to study it. Hope you guys can make it happen! Thanks in advance.

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
I am going to make the Illustrator file easy to manipulate and then also make PDFs with the different layers so that you can print them off on transparency sheets so that you can study certain subjects and add them as you become better and better at knowing it.

Been busy at work this week working 12 hour days so haven't been able to work on it. About half way done.