San Diego Tower - SAN

SnowAviation

Jan 29, 2009
Southern California TRACON
Re: SAN?

Lots of good folks work there, you will enjoy it.
...or it will suck royally, it's all up to you.

Seriously, I work at SCT in the San Diego AREA and we work with
SAN tower, plus I know quite a few guys and gals who work there.
They are a great bunch, it'd be hard to have a bad time working
there plus they have a great view of San Diego.

haystack510

Feb 14, 2009
Fremont, CA

Thats great to hear there is a good group of people down there. I currently work with one of the best crews/awesome controllers here in Alaska, and feel i wont end up in a better work environment. But like every else in ATC sooner or later you have to move on. Thanks for the feedback.

ysj2482

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I work with several people in Phoenix that started at Lindbergh. They have had nothing but good things to say about it!

SoCal

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
San Diego

I have a friend who just got picked up for Lindbergh- and hes awesome- so for that reason alone you should take it..haha.

I had hoped to get Lindbergh myself, but I ended up at SoCal TRACON (with his wife) and I love it here now. I may look for a transfer to a local tower in 10 or so years just to get a nice window seat until retirement... =)

and um coming from Alaska to California...HELLO come thaw out in the sun already!
Although Alaska has some amazing landscape...

San Diego is wonderful. A lot of people complain about all the 'fake' people here...and well yah we seem to have more than the usual, but there are way more laid back and cool people if you stick around- especially in the ATC biz.

Best of luck!

haystack510

Feb 14, 2009
Fremont, CA

Well the first couple of days after I received the offer i was a little reluctant, even though I am in -20 weather, cant go to work cause im snowed in, have pretty much nothing to do where I live, and hear so many bad things about the FAA. But the the reason why I am still here is because i work with great people, in a great work environment. So after hearing the good things, I am really looking forward to working there. Thanks for the replies...

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Hello, I'll be in the area at the end of Aug. and would like to set up a tour of the facility. How much notice do you SAN would like, if they allow tours? What day would you say is best to tour?

BVI4Life

Jun 8, 2009
PCT
San Diego - SAN

Hey all. I was just looking for some info about SAN. I'm sick of living on the east coast and want to move in the next 3-5 years. I'll be CPC at BWI here in the next 2 months or so and I just wanted to know about the facility (level, staff, management, etc)

Thanks

AC

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Re: San Diego - KSAN

The ATC facilities tab at the top of the page will give you the level, locality, location, and phone/fax numbers.

If you go to airnav.com you can download a pdf file with the runway and all taxiways. also, you will find out some, if not all, departure procedures and some if not all approaches to the airport.

There has been a post going around on this site that has the hiring plan and facility staffing levels. i do not have a link to it though, but i do recall san diego being pretty fat with people as are the majority of facilities at this time.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Re: San Diego - KSAN

Talk about a gorgeous view! Single runway, in and out jet traffic. Level 7

markthetape

Jun 23, 2008
went up to the tower about a month ago, easy as sin. give me the airport layout to memorize and I will be done in a week as a cpc!

SercoJerk

Newcomer
Sep 20, 2010
went up to the tower about a month ago, easy as sin. give me the airport layout to memorize and I will be done in a week as a cpc!
Now there is a egotistical statement...wow!

I am retired and worked at SAN for 13 years, along with other airports.
Having only one runway forces a controller to squeeze air-carrier aircraft out in front of arrivals. We did not have the convenience of arriving one runway and departing another. There is no option other than a go-around if you make a bad call. It is also Class B airspace and the Tower does work other traffic that requires separation. I'll assume you don't know about the weather created runway configurations one being land 9 and depart 27. No, it is no LAX but SAN Controllers earn their money. By the way I taught classroom there and trained many Controllers with varying experience, most took 6-9 months to check out and few 12+ months.

SercoJerk

Newcomer
Sep 20, 2010
Really....Ground Control at SAN will not make you a rockstar. Its ONE runway, I hope you could pull it off.
Lack of room is the problem, acft need to push onto the taxiway from numerous gates, lots of flow times to make, 9/27 config , one runway = no options, constant squeeze plays, yeah no work there...LOL

I had a blast working Republican National Convention and Super Bowl at SAN. Wish I could post a few pics of Superbowl traffic.

SercoJerk

Newcomer
Sep 20, 2010
Oh and SAN made #10 on the top most extreme airports. If you have not seen that show watch it, very interesting.

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
Lack of room is the problem, acft need to push onto the taxiway from numerous gates, lots of flow times to make, 9/27 config , one runway = no options, constant squeeze plays, yeah no work there...LOL

I had a blast working Republican National Convention and Super Bowl at SAN. Wish I could post a few pics of Superbowl traffic.
I can appreciate the complexity, I was just commenting on his moronic post.