San Juan CERAP - ZSU

gablephillip

Trusted Member
Oct 18, 2012
Atlanta, GA
the downstairs training program is actually ok. we have a couple good guys teaching.......but we aren't going to keep you just because we need people. you still have to prove yourself. this airspace is incredibly complex. lots of non radar and there are no high and low sectors. it gets pretty wild in the winter time on the center side.
i wasn't implying that you guys keep everyone you get, that would be silly. I know some schools only keep you if they like you as opposed to whether or not you actually prove yourself. Preciate the input. More than likely will be showing up on the facility's doorstep beginning of May ready to work my ass off.

fly747

Jun 18, 2008
How are things at San Juan? Still picking up controllers for this year? How long does training typically take?

ATC_ZORRILLA

Newcomer
Oct 31, 2016
Any current or retired ZSU controllers that can give me a rundown of what its like working @zsu cenrap. Average Time to CPC, any information on the center itself and island life. I am currently @ the academy and I would love to end up there.

Thanks in advance!

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Any current or retired ZSU controllers that can give me a rundown of what its like working @zsu cenrap. Average Time to CPC, any information on the center itself and island life. I am currently @ the academy and I would love to end up there.

Thanks in advance!
Are you able to volunteer for ZSU and get that approved as a guaranteed spot if you want it?

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017

Thanks in advance!
Are you from there or have friends/family you're trying to go down and help/support through the rebuild? My heart goes out to all the current controllers at STT, SJU, and ZSU, I can't imagine anyone volunteering to go down without an ulterior motive.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Are you from there or have friends/family you're trying to go down and help/support through the rebuild? My heart goes out to all the current controllers at STT, SJU, and ZSU, I can't imagine anyone volunteering to go down without an ulterior motive.
I concur with this. Unless you're from PR, or have family there, it is hard to picture anyone would want to go there with the current living conditions in the Island, and the extremely slow rebuild process. Make sure you know exactly what you're getting into before making a commitment to go to PR.