Sandbox

Buck

Sep 23, 2008
Anybody been to the desert?
Wanna share where you were and how it was?
I'm mostly looking for contract info but military feel free too.

deusneu

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2008
Currently in Mosul, Iraq controlling for the army. Not gonna lie its a constant battle to keep myself entertained, so if you really are looking to come overseas, even as a contractor, find someplace that you can actually get out and see the culture and have a good time. I've definitely thought of coming back over as a civilian but then realize how much it really does suck to be over here, so think about it long and hard before you do make the decision.

And oh yeah, Dubai would kick ass.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Been to Kuwait, Turkey, and UAE. I was just outside Abu Dhabi. Only got to see the city twice. I'm going to Iraq for 6 months in April. It gets really boring.

Good luck getting a contract job. Especially to anywhere decent. You gotta know somebody to get those jobs.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
Find out who has the contracts and send in a resume. You don't have to know anybody. Just follow up your resume with monthly or at least quarterly phone calls and make it clear you will leave with almost no notice.

SRQ

Jul 25, 2008
Sarasota/Indianapolis
Been to Kuwait, Turkey, and UAE. I was just outside Abu Dhabi. Only got to see the city twice. I'm going to Iraq for 6 months in April. It gets really boring.

Good luck getting a contract job. Especially to anywhere decent. You gotta know somebody to get those jobs.
Good luck.

Chuck3too3

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
Balad 06... um... terrible. Parry Campbell is the contact for midwest ATC.... parrycampbell@sbcglobal.net. that is his adress.. just email him and tell him you are a controller.. if you are.. and he is pretty good at getting back at you. I know that they just started taking contract controllers to Iraq. Al Tequadem is the first one. It's a marine base about 80 miles west of baghdad and was pretty slow when I was at Balad. Other than that you can pretty much count on going to Afghanny land through midwest. Anywhere you go is a shite hole. Too hot and boring. Good pay though.....

Dawson

Newcomer
Jan 13, 2009
Pueblo, CO
Al Taqaddum is 30w of bagdad. No wonder Bagdad/Balad controllers were terrible, you don't even know where TQ is and you're the center. And midwest won't be there for atleast a year if at all. They are being sent to Al Asad.

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
i know usaf controllers must be so terrible they gave us the entire country to control when the war first kicked off lol....now civilians control 240 and above...remind me how much airspace the great TQ owns....oh thats right surface to 5k and a twenty mile radius of your one airport...must be so tuff!!:bowdown: i talked to more planes on one shift at ORBD than you probaly talked to in your in entire 15 month deployment

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
whats up man?? u out yet??? how have things been goin for ya?? i know gotta keep all the other branches in line and let em know where the real controllers come from in the DoD!!

ssmyers

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
yeah...i'm been out since may...waiting to get hired in nc. heard from anyone else from balad?

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
yeah i talked to heags a couple times through email u know he was talkin mad shit when the lakers won the finals but thats about it shorter was supposed to go back in june only had four months at home and had to go back ouch!!!! u goin FAA or DoD??

haystack510

Feb 14, 2009
Fremont, CA
i know usaf controllers must be so terrible they gave us the entire country to control when the war first kicked off lol....now civilians control 240 and above...remind me how much airspace the great TQ owns....oh thats right surface to 5k and a twenty mile radius of your one airport...must be so tuff!!:bowdown: i talked to more planes on one shift at ORBD than you probaly talked to in your in entire 15 month deployment
Its funny to hear that, becuase it reminds me of controllers that I have worked with, been rated at a place and thinks they handle more traffic in one day than a 15 month deployment at TQ. Its just funny to hear, no offense to you, but Ive worked there along with 4 other airports, although it wasnt the busiest Ive worked at it has its challenges you wont understand unless youve worked there.

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
I can't believe some of you are complaining about working in an air conditioned tower living in dorms making what you make when you know there are guys out there making less than you getting shot at living in a tent with a lot harsher conditions. I was deployed for a bit, work on a flightline and sleeping in a tent temps between -30F to 120F and I consider myself lucky because all I did was work on the aircraft and not have to drive on a road that could have mines hiding below it and have to raid a village potentially get shot at.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I can't believe some of you are complaining about working in an air conditioned tower living in dorms making what you make when you know there are guys out there making less than you getting shot at living in a tent with a lot harsher conditions. I was deployed for a bit, work on a flightline and sleeping in a tent temps between -30F to 120F and I consider myself lucky because all I did was work on the aircraft and not have to drive on a road that could have mines hiding below it and have to raid a village potentially get shot at.
And that is why I joined the Air Force and not the Army

MZ2009

May 30, 2009
And that is why I joined the Air Force and not the Army
second that lol!!!! oh and by the way i worked in a CERAP not a tower just in case u didnt know not all air traffic controllers work in a tower......but yeah that was air conditioned too