Santa Barbara Tower - SBA

Chuck3too3

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
Anyone ever worked at Santa Barbara or know anyone who did that gave up any information about it? I just got my tentative offer and before I head out west I was just wandering what I might be getting myself into other than the high cost of living.........

70ftup

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008
S.E. of Disorder
I'm from Santa Barbara originally. Nice airport, I learned to fly there many moons ago, the tower is only about 5 years old. Cost of living is outrageous! Good luck.

fatboy

Newcomer
Jun 16, 2008
i work with a few people that used to work there. they all hated it and work is they are wroking on shutting down the approach protion.

Last edited:

maverickmage

Newcomer
Nov 17, 2008
Re: Santa Barbara ATCT/Tracon

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything...

I'm currently training at the Academy for Santa Barbara airport. Are there any recommendations as to where to live in SB? It looks pretty bleak with developmental pay...

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008

I'm currently training at the Academy for Santa Barbara airport. Are there any recommendations as to where to live in SB? It looks pretty bleak with developmental pay...
You probably wont like to hear this, but Bakersfield or Palmdale are reletively inexpensive (for the area). You could always call the warden at Lompoc and see if he has an extra bed.;)

ATC4ME

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2009
Ventura, CA
SBA is a beautiful facility and city. Although it is expensive to live in SB, there are some semi-affordable places to live nearby. I would suggest Ventura to the south, but about the same distance to the north is Lompoc.

Charliefoxtrot

Nov 19, 2008
San Diego

Maverick,
Have you made it out of the academy/to your facility yet? How is the process going for you?

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
Is SBA still an Up/Down? If so is the approach radar or non? I am trying to get to the socal area and would love to be at an Up/Down and the coastal area is a plus. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.

copasetic

Newcomer
Nov 19, 2009
Does anyone have more current information if SBA is going to keep their radar, and how the current morale of the facility is?