Seaplane Add-On?

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
Anybody get their seaplane rating? I'm thinking about maybe taking a vacation up to Alaska or Washington to get my seaplane rating summer 2010. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

A

Adam

I know a guy that has a PA-11 that he retrofits to floats during the spring and summer months and issues people sea-plane ratings...in SW Missouri.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
I was thinking about going to Lake Havasu (on the Colorado, b/t AZ and CA) and getting mine there. There is a place there that does them for about 1800 bucks. It'd be kinda wicked to get my seaplane rating in the middle of the desert. I dont think its going to happen this year though

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
I always thought those guys in MN I think it is that you go on a fly in fishing/camping trip and pick up your rating along the way would be fun too

ATCtower

Oct 26, 2008
I was gonna go up to a place called North Air Inc. in Minnesota to do it. They offer a 4 day course including the checkride on the 4th day for about $100/hr +$60/hr for the instructor. I was saving for a while but spent it on my CTI school instead. I will probably be heading up this summer to do it if anyone wants to go with, PM me. It runs about $1400-$1800 for everything.

chasemayer

Nov 27, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Yep. Got my private and a few months later went to the DE that checked me out and got my seaplane rating. It was a real good time. Lots of fun, not too hard at all. I went through the guys at NORCAL aviation in Calavera's CA. The bad thing is.. I haven't flown a seaplane in about 5 years. But it was definately worth it, just impossible to rent.

jeffvdub

Jul 15, 2009
South Carolina
check out jack browns seaplane base in florida...sweet place nice people, thats where ill be going
thats where i got mine, real easy the instructor i had was cool young kid, first half day was ground school then flying the rest of that day and the next. end of the last day is checkride, pretty cool also because we landed on a lake that had a resturant on it moored the plane onshore and went and ate, whloe lot of heads turning on that one