Seattle Center - ZSE

joephys

Newcomer
Nov 8, 2009
For anyone who is interested in ZSE, it may be a a while. I just found out that they are over staffed, and it will probably be a few years until they hire anyone.

bridget1814

Sep 20, 2009
Seattle
Several of our instructors are ZSE controllers, and this is what they have to say. ZSE currently has 60 CPC's eligible to retire, and 35 trainees in the pipelines. Originally, the center had a hiring freeze until fiscal year 2012. However, due to decreased traffic levels the FAA has dropped their target staffing levels, and ZSE isn't expecting to hire anyone else until fiscal year 2013 at the very earliest! The controllers are being told that even if all 60 eligible retirees left, the center should still be able to handle its traffic volume. Sounds kind of dismal for prospective hirees, but that's the latest scoop on ZSE!

TrevMan22

Rookie
Jun 2, 2009
Got an email today requesting that I renew all my clearances, because they MIGHT TENTATIVELY be looking at early 2012 for a class date for me. Anyone else??

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
I got an email today saying I was tentatively scheduled for class and asking me to re-up all my clearances as well. I've had my TOL for ZSE since 07/2009

N813JB

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2010
Not much, just that there were quite a few hires from the Nov 2011 panel that have been through OKC already...What is your TOL date? 6/12/12 for me.

Last edited:

TX574

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2012
June 12 for me as well... although i didn't actually get it until September. My HR girl called me asking why i hadn't completed any of the "in-processing" and thats when we discovered they never sent it to me. I was pretty happy to see it was dated for june and received it in Sept. Thats pretty quick, at least seems pretty quick if they're already through okl. From previous posts on here i was thinking i would be waiting around awhile, either way I'm not in a big hurry. Are you working anywhere now? CTI? Active duty? D.O.D?

i have a friend that visited ZSE (currently works at PDX tracon) and he had nothing but good things to say about the facility. Sounded like its a a place to retire from what i hear and everyone is happy. I guess we will find out eventually

N813JB

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2010
Yeah I haven't heard anything negative either, so I'm pretty pumped. I graduated CTI out of UND, working as an RPO at Vegas TRACON. How bout you?

Toptrump04

Mar 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Hey all, looks like no one has posted in this thread for a little while haha. Just got TOL for ZSE and super stoked! After reading through some of these pages, looks like I might be part of the 2013-2014 hiring you guys were talking about...Anyone have any news? Thanks!

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
There was a Fall '12 ZSE thread somewhere where these guys were talking

fishnuts

Newcomer
Sep 11, 2012
I'm currently an Air Force controller and I just applied for the ATA job at ZSE. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try and if I get my foot in the door, that's a plus, too. Flight data for life! And congrats TopTrump, I moved from WA last year and I miss it everyday.

Toptrump04

Mar 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I'm currently an Air Force controller and I just applied for the ATA job at ZSE. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try and if I get my foot in the door, that's a plus, too. Flight data for life! And congrats TopTrump, I moved from WA last year and I miss it everyday.
Thanks a lot! Been there (Seattle) many times with some family nearby. Obviously will be new to enroute, but looking forward to the challenge.

kbro28

Newcomer
Apr 14, 2011
I also have a TOL to ZSE and Im currently debating on where to live. I have yet to visit the area and was wondering if anyone had any information about a reverse commute to Auburn from Seattle areas like Capitol Hill/Queen Anne/etc. Ive done some digging on city-data and other sites which indicates it should roughly 35-45 minutes. I dont mind driving as ive had a 45+ minute commute before and would prefer to be closer to the city center. Any and all info/insight would be greatly appreciated