Security Clearance

dispatchgirl

Rookie
Jan 26, 2017
I was contacted by someone that I disclosed on the medical forms a while ago about a private investigator contacting them. I contacted the investigator to confirm that it was for an atc position and he told me yes, that he would be investigating me while I was at the academy. I was under the impression all of the things for security clearance should have been done before I received an FOL. My class date is in a week. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trillside

Newcomer
Jul 23, 2009
There was a guy who I used to work with that went through the academy and passed, started training at his facility and he didn't pass his security clearance and he was fired. So your taking a huge risk if it's not done before you go. Good luck.

dispatchgirl

Rookie
Jan 26, 2017
Why was he denied clearance? And is it typically done before you’re given an FOL?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
You can attend the Academy with a conditional clearance. The full security clearance can take upwards of a year. Yes this was s a common practice

dispatchgirl

Rookie
Jan 26, 2017
You can attend the Academy with a conditional clearance. The full security clearance can take upwards of a year. Yes this was s a common practice
Any idea of how often people go through the academy then are let go because they don’t get clearance?

boots

Jan 6, 2017
Any idea of how often people go through the academy then are let go because they don’t get clearance?

Did you lie about something that you didn't think they would catch?

randoturbo33

Rookie
Sep 19, 2017
So your taking a huge risk if it's not done before you go. Good luck.
I mean, does he have any real choice though? If he says "I'd rather wait for a class date after I've received my clearance," won't the FAA likely just consider that a decline and move on?

dispatchgirl

Rookie
Jan 26, 2017
Did you lie about something that you didn't think they would catch?
Nope. I saw a therapist for a little bit. A few dermatology appointments that the flight doc I saw said shouldn’t be an issue. Other than that, nothing that should be of note. Didn’t lie, no legal issues, debt, or anything like that.

bub89y2k

Rookie
Jan 23, 2014
Yes it’s normal. About half of my class had their security interviews while at the academy in 2016. No big deal.

trillside

Newcomer
Jul 23, 2009
According to him it was something that happened when he was a teenager and was expunged so he didn't disclosed it. It was terrible for him because he quit his old job moved and signed year lease. My advice is to DISCLOSE everything no matter how miniscule. Because if you don't and the person investing you finds out you're screwed.

dispatchgirl

Rookie
Jan 26, 2017
According to him it was something that happened when he was a teenager and was expunged so he didn't disclosed it. It was terrible for him because he quit his old job moved and signed year lease. My advice is to DISCLOSE everything no matter how miniscule. Because if you don't and the person investing you finds out you're screwed.
I’ve disclosed everything, so hopefully it’ll be okay. Thanks!