Selling my house during or after the academy?

cbryan89

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2020
Hello, I just got a class date today for a little over 2 months from now on March 26th, 2020. As you could guess I'm both excited and terrified. I own a house, I will be driving to OKC and leaving my boyfriend and pets at home. I know you do not know your facility until the very end if you pass and have to report almost immediately after graduation. I am having a meltdown for lack of a better term. When do I sell my house? Do I have to live in a hotel until I find lodging for me, my boyfriend and pets while my poor boyfriend is home packing our house up and moving to god knows where? I know chances are slim but if anyone has any amount of advice to give me, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you!!

unrealcatch85

Newcomer
Sep 17, 2018
I do not have experience in the academy process specifically because I was a direct hire from the military but I would recommend 2 things. 1) Don't sell your house until you are complete with the academy. There is a possibility you will not graduate and will be going home. 2) Look into COS (Change Of Station) leave. Again I did not come from the academy but I was afforded 8 days of leave for the exact purpose of moving/finding a rental. Hope this helps, try and relax and prepare as much as you can now like selling unwanted things you might not even miss and de-cluttering closets and what not. We did that for about a month before we moved and it really made it so much easier.

Reactions: cbryan89

cbryan89

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2020
I do not have experience in the academy process specifically because I was a direct hire from the military but I would recommend 2 things. 1) Don't sell your house until you are complete with the academy. There is a possibility you will not graduate and will be going home. 2) Look into COS (Change Of Station) leave. Again I did not come from the academy but I was afforded 8 days of leave for the exact purpose of moving/finding a rental. Hope this helps, try and relax and prepare as much as you can now like selling unwanted things you might not even miss and de-cluttering closets and what not. We did that for about a month before we moved and it really made it so much easier.
Thank you! You've eased my mind a bit with the COS thing!!

ilushka91

Newcomer
Jun 7, 2011
I sold my house before the academy and made sure to study well and pass. You will get a certain number of days to report to your facility plus an additional 10 days you can use within the first year or two after finishing the academy. I ended up taking all of my days and then some in the form of LWOP (leave without pay). The facility I chose worked with me on this so I can have a smooth transition. You might have all this figured out already but with this virus, did you even start the academy?

cbryan89

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2020
I sold my house before the academy and made sure to study well and pass. You will get a certain number of days to report to your facility plus an additional 10 days you can use within the first year or two after finishing the academy. I ended up taking all of my days and then some in the form of LWOP (leave without pay). The facility I chose worked with me on this so I can have a smooth transition. You might have all this figured out already but with this virus, did you even start the academy?

That's amazing that your facility worked with you! As for me, nothing is figured out yet. My class was supposed to start March 26th. We were informed we will be doing an online class for basics starting April 30th through May 22nd. A month after the original start class date. Nothing has been announced for tower yet so I'm not sure if we will be going to OKC or not at this point in time. I'll do my best even though it's not a classroom setting.