Selling my house during or after the academy?

cbryan89

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2020
Hello, I just got a class date today for a little over 2 months from now on March 26th, 2020. As you could guess I'm both excited and terrified. I own a house, I will be driving to OKC and leaving my boyfriend and pets at home. I know you do not know your facility until the very end if you pass and have to report almost immediately after graduation. I am having a meltdown for lack of a better term. When do I sell my house? Do I have to live in a hotel until I find lodging for me, my boyfriend and pets while my poor boyfriend is home packing our house up and moving to god knows where? I know chances are slim but if anyone has any amount of advice to give me, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you!!

unrealcatch85

Newcomer
Sep 17, 2018
I do not have experience in the academy process specifically because I was a direct hire from the military but I would recommend 2 things. 1) Don't sell your house until you are complete with the academy. There is a possibility you will not graduate and will be going home. 2) Look into COS (Change Of Station) leave. Again I did not come from the academy but I was afforded 8 days of leave for the exact purpose of moving/finding a rental. Hope this helps, try and relax and prepare as much as you can now like selling unwanted things you might not even miss and de-cluttering closets and what not. We did that for about a month before we moved and it really made it so much easier.

Reactions: cbryan89

cbryan89

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2020
I do not have experience in the academy process specifically because I was a direct hire from the military but I would recommend 2 things. 1) Don't sell your house until you are complete with the academy. There is a possibility you will not graduate and will be going home. 2) Look into COS (Change Of Station) leave. Again I did not come from the academy but I was afforded 8 days of leave for the exact purpose of moving/finding a rental. Hope this helps, try and relax and prepare as much as you can now like selling unwanted things you might not even miss and de-cluttering closets and what not. We did that for about a month before we moved and it really made it so much easier.
Thank you! You've eased my mind a bit with the COS thing!!