SF-50 Issues

alexakis8

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2015
Curious if anyone has had this problem before. I sent a request to the OPM for my office personnel folder documenting my time at the FAA. Three weeks after my request, I received a letter in the mail today stating "The official personnel folder is not at this Center. Please contact the last or current employing agency." I've been out of the FAA since 2008, and I understood that OPFs were sent to the National Personnel Records Center after 120 days of separation. Am I to believe, by this note, that my former facility still has my personnel folder? Has anyone had this happen before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Was hoping to put in for the reinstatement bid, but with Monday being a holiday, this is beginning to look like a lost cause.

Thanks all.

alexakis8

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2015
Put in for it anyway, then contact the HR listed on the bid and explain your situation.
Great idea. Thanks. I also found my old offer letter from my original appointment, separation paperwork, and copies of my paystub that I'm going to include if needed.

Thanks for your help!

RBRCRJ

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2015
I lifted this information off the national archives website, but it sounds like this was the route you already pursued. Call that number on the bottom of the post for "immediate assistance." Even if it's too late for this bid, don't give up this pursuit. Your SF50s are filed somewhere, and you should be able to get a complete copy of all of them, so you'll have what you need for the next bid. I got copies of mine when the bid came out in 2012, but it seems like they came from Kansas City. I need to go through my paperwork and try to find out exactly what office they were issued from.

"3. I want to be reinstated into Federal service. What forms do I need?
Copies of Standard Form 50 (Personnel Action) from your previous Federal employment are usually needed for reinstatement purposes. You may request copies of those documents by writing to the National Personnel Records Center. The NPRC does not have the authority to determine reinstatement eligibility, only the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) or the hiring agency can determine that.
Contact the personnel office with which you are currently employed or seeking employment, or:

U. S. Office of Personnel Management
Employment Service
1900 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20415
Top of Page
4. Where can I call for help or immediate assistance?
National Personnel Records Center:
Telephone: 314-801-0800
Fax: 314-801-9195 "

alexakis8

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2015
I think this agency has your SF50s. The National Personnel Records Center. St Louis, MO

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC
Thanks. This was who I originally reached out to that gave me the "we don't have your OPF" message (even though they are supposed to have it after being separated for 120 days). Just as an FYI for anyone else who has this issue in the future, I ended up finding my folder at the regional records office (I was in the Southern region, so I reached out to their records office). So, basically, they were supposed to transfer the paperwork to the NPRC, but they've been short staffed, and I guess they aren't sending them there anymore (it's been seven years since I separated, so I'm going to guess they were never going to make their way there). The good news is I was able to get my paperwork e-mailed to me immediately, rather than the 3 1/2 weeks it takes for the NPRC to complete the request. Just for anyone who has the issue in the future.

RBRCRJ

Newcomer
Jan 21, 2015
That's so great! I'm so glad you got your paperwork! It seems like a miracle. Best wishes on your bid.