Should I bring the wife and children to FAA academy?

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Any advice on weather it would be a a good or bad idea to bring the family while going through the academy? Will they be a help or a distraction? I would really like to hear the pros and cons on this question!

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Re: Bring the wife and children?

Any advice on weather it would be a a good or bad idea to bring the family while going through the academy? Will they be a help or a distraction? I would really like to hear the pros and cons on this question!
Pro- if you love your wife and kids, they'll be there with you.

Con- if you have the type of wife that won't be able to understand that you need to study and need to go to school, so she therefore needs to take care of the kids majority of the time, it could effect your school work.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix

Pro- if you love your wife and kids, they'll be there with you.

Con- if you have the type of wife that won't be able to understand that you need to study and need to go to school, so she therefore needs to take care of the kids majority of the time, it could effect your school work.
Good Points!

Pro - (if you do not live near the facility you are going to) bringing them means you only have to pay to sustain 1 household (rent, utilities, etc)

My husband and infant are coming with me. We had almost verbatim the discussion above. He is in charge of our son full time so I can study. If it becomes too much for him, I'm sending them both to live with my mother-in-law.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009

If you can afford it, by all means I think they should come.

jholw311

Trusted Contributor
May 27, 2009
PARKER, COLORADO

I am planning on bringing my wife and our 21 month old daughter. We sold our house here in Parker and close on it Nov 11th and my class starts Nov 14th so it worked out well. We are staying in Kim's family housing.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

I am planning on bringing my wife and our 21 month old daughter. We sold our house here in Parker and close on it Nov 11th and my class starts Nov 14th so it worked out well. We are staying in Kim's family housing.
How much is it costing you each month?

DE_UND_CTI

Trusted Member
Dec 12, 2008
CLT- Charlotte Douglas Int'l Airport

I brought my wife and daughter with me for my tower class and stayed at Kim's Place as well. It worked out great and actually made me more relaxed at the academy because I wasn't worrying about them or constantly thinking about them. I'm at the academy right now for RTF and this time we decided that it would be better for them to stay back home. I'm only here for a month and we have a house to take care of now, something we didn't have to worry about the first time I came here. It just depends on your situation, but I agree with the above posters that your family has to be very supportive if they do come with you.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X

Glad I brought mine, it would've been misery without them.

Just make sure you're all on the same page when you start so they won't be surprised that you may not be available some evenings/weekends/holidays because you're studying or working. It's going to be the case for the next few decades, especially during training. Might as well lay it down now so nobody ends up with false expectations.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009

Well, time for some devils advocate.

Depending on how old you are, going without family makes your time at Okc much more enjoyable. School sucks, so afterwards your class is going to get a beer or go bowling or whatever... ya you can't go. My class did a ton of events/nights on the town... which just don't work with a baby at home.

Sometimes its nice, while going through all the stresses of class, to not have to worry about anything but yourself. My rtf class had quite a few married people, and we had a great time without our other halfs. The wives did come visit or vice versa every few months.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009

Oh and randomly chicks in Okc will want to bang you, and that's tough with the family at ur apartment

Durden

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2009

I am bringing the family for sure. Life is boring in the evenings without 2 dogs, a 3 year old, and my lovely wife. I got out of the military so I would not have to leave my family.

Hiro

Newcomer
Oct 5, 2011

Oh and randomly chicks in Okc will want to bang you, and that's tough with the family at ur apartment

Really? You don't have to share all the thoughts in your head you know.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009

shut it rook, sex and air traffic is like peanut butter and jelly

Hiro

Newcomer
Oct 5, 2011

shut it rook, sex and air traffic is like peanut butter and jelly

Oh... OK, thanks for the tip. So, just to be clear, is advocating leaving your family at home in the off chance to get some strange also a part of air traffic, or is that just your own unique form of d-baggery?

P.S. you don't have to have over 1,500 posts on stuck mic to no longer be considered a "rook".

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010

Oh... OK, thanks for the tip. So, just to be clear, is advocating leaving your family at home in the off chance to get some strange also a part of air traffic, or is that just your own unique form of d-baggery?

P.S. you don't have to have over 1,500 posts on stuck mic to no longer be considered a "rook".
Actually you have to have more than 5. You lose.