Sick Leave Hole

bluegrass_gal

Rookie
Jan 3, 2009
Can we go in the hole on sick leave as long as we get out by the end of the year like we can with annual? Does it have to be requested and then approved by the ATM before sick leave is taken or can ya just expect LWOP on the next paycheck? Thanks.

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
I think it's 30 hours, has to be approved by your manager. I think LWOP has to be approved too. Several years ago when a family member was sick and ultimately passed away, I had to make a written request and have it approved, then I could request whatever I wanted, SL or LWOP.

echster

Sep 14, 2015
DoD ATC
Can we go in the hole on sick leave as long as we get out by the end of the year like we can with annual? Does it have to be requested and then approved by the ATM before sick leave is taken or can ya just expect LWOP on the next paycheck? Thanks.
Check Article 25, Section 14.

You may request up to 30 days (normally 240 hours). Yes, it must be approved... just like all other leaves. However, the CBA states "...shall be entitled..." so that seems like it will be given, if requested. Finally, you do not have to get out of a negative balance for advanced sick leave by the end of the year. By law (and the CBA), you can be advanced up to 240 hours (30 days) but you'll only earn 104 hours (13 days) in one year (or 26 pay periods).

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
Not something you ever want to do...but it is a great insurance plan. I went in the hole after a motorcycle wreck, had around 160 banked and went in the hole for 120.

I use to be the kind of person that held a number of sick hours then would use the rest...since that wreck in 2012 I have only taken a hand full of sick days for other reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
If you have a FMLA on file, you are allowed to go up to -240 hours (in the hole). Otherwise it is up to the discretion of the management to advance you sick leave if you will end up with a negative balance carried over to the next year. The process for doing this varies from facility to facility, but generally you have to write a written request to get advanced sick leave if you are not on a FMLA letter, and sometimes even if you are. No problems with going negative during the year as long as your sick balance is zero or higher when the carryover happens to the next year.

bluegrass_gal

Rookie
Jan 3, 2009
Hey sorry for the late response... I just wanted to thank y'all for your answers. It helped clear things up and I also found what I needed in the HRPM.