Sign the Petition: Hold the FAA Accountable for the Recent Air Traffic Controller (ATC) Hiring Bid

TRACONDON

Jul 23, 2009
I won't be signing it. I don't want my name out there as one of these people whining about the hiring process. Why not act professional about this instead of creating petitions and lawsuits? The BQ disqualified well more candidates than the FAA though, and they are well aware of that.
Your name isn't out there for all to see and like I said in my previous post...it is much more than just whining about the hiring process. The FAA is failing to bring in people and that is what we need most.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
This is the worst idea I've seen in a while. I'd be surprised if if makes it passed 10k.

Edit: I like how you worded it and phrased it to sound like some insane scandal and gaping hkle in sa FD ety, like some seasoned fox news writer

Mar 5, 2014
I love how these people come into these threads and COMPLAIN about the complainers. LOL sweet, sweet hypocrisy. I'm guessing most of the naysayers are bidders who made it past the BQ. Your opinions are obviously biased. Of course you don't want a petition that might change your LUCK.

Me123

Rookie
Feb 28, 2014
KY
How isn't safety compromised? Only 2,200 out of 28,000 candidates were selected to the next stage of the hiring process. Out of the 2,200 people that were selected, probably half of them if not less will actually make it through the rest of the selection process, the FAA Academy, and then certify at their facility. The FAA has delayed the hiring of air traffic controllers for years and this just further delays the process. There are thousands of air traffic controllers eligible to retire and not enough people coming through the pipeline to replace them. Doing things like this effects safety, because as a result of this, the current controller work force must work longer hours, and heavy workload of traffic because of inadequate staffing at the facilities. If you were a current controller you may know what this is like. We are working 6 day work weeks every single week and more and more people are retiring. The FAA is doing nothing to address this. This new Biographical assessment goes beyond who is getting selected off the street. It doesn't matter if you have 10 years experience or none, if you can't do the job, we will wash you out....however, we aren't getting the opportunity as we aren't getting anybody through the system.
Maybe whoever wrote this poorly worded petition should include WHY safety will be of an issue instead of just stating it as fact with nothing following up the safety issue. I've known for a very long time that the shortage of controllers would become a safety compromise, but the lack of controllers is not a direct cause of the biographical. It has gone on for the past few years as the baby boomers, who were hired after the strike, are retiring. If this silly little petition does, in fact, make its way to the FAA, they're going to laugh at it and say "so what" because it is just an outcry for them to see the error in their ways (which they may or may not choose to do). It calls for no immediate action.

buckeye10

Trusted Member
Nov 27, 2008
a. you must pass the academy to be an atc
b. you must pass training to be an atc
c. it takes, in most cases, years to certify

an off the streeter isn't an off the streeter by the time step c is accomplished.
These people will leave that information out when they are emailing Bill O'Reilly

Mar 5, 2014
a. you must pass the academy to be an atc
b. you must pass training to be an atc
c. it takes, in most cases, years to certify

an off the streeter isn't an off the streeter by the time step c is accomplished.
Not if you have an abundance of aviation experience. Pilots and military controller's and CTI's to some degree could cut months off training time. While these guys are near ly checked out, a newb is gonna still be wrapping his/her head around vfr/ifr minima, separation requirements, airplane types, the list goes on and on. People with loads of aviation background could potentially save the FAA lots of time and money in training.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Not if you have an abundance of aviation experience. Pilots and military controller's and CTI's to some degree could cut months off training time. While these guys are near ly checked out, a newb is gonna still be wrapping his/her head around vfr/ifr minima, separation requirements, airplane types, the list goes on and on. People with loads of aviation background could potentially save the FAA lots of time and money in training.
HERE WE GO!! *popcorn*

Reactions: SirMario
Mar 5, 2014
Lol I just don't understand the resistance to the effort to change the BQ(or get rid of it). The only people who possibly benefited from it are the 2000 or so souls who squeaked by. If you can't see the problem with it you must of been one of those who did. I can't imagine current faa controllers suppressing efforts to change it, or complain about it if that all it amounts to, as many of them would eventually like to move to more desirable positions, take leave, etc. which will be hard to do with critical staffing that already effects several facilities and can only get worse.

Mar 5, 2014
a new guy will have a good base line of knowledge coming out of the academy.
and you say nearly checking out... to diminish the checking out part...lol cute

1st. Have you set foot in the academy or 1 day in the training program?
I have and I have passed the air traffic basics course. I work for the FAA , albeit not in a terminal or enroute facility. Flight service. I did better than many in my classroom but not all. Most of the pilots or ex military controllers had a much easier time. The academy throws a lot of information at you which you continue to process during OJT. Experience, in my experience, counts!

Mar 5, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I know a new person can make it. I just believe prior aviation experience generally could cut training times. I like the fact that there was an ots bid. I like that there are multiple routes to becoming a controller. But I hate the way they disqualified people right out of the gate. Regardless of what happens, people have a right to complain. Complaints and hell-raising sometimes are the only way for the higher-ups/people in charge to know that there is a problem with a certain system or what ever else that people may complain about. This is how things get fixed. For those that are already controllers, are in training ,or passed the BQ have to realize people are very sore about the BQ. Poking at our wounds does nothing to help anybody.

AK02

Apr 8, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I know a new person can make it. I just believe prior aviation experience generally could cut training times. I like the fact that there was an ots bid. I like that there are multiple routes to becoming a controller. But I hate the way they disqualified people right out of the gate. Regardless of what happens, people have a right to complain. Complaints and hell-raising sometimes are the only way for the higher-ups/people in charge to know that there is a problem with a certain system or what ever else that people may complain about. This is how things get fixed. For those that are already controllers, are in training ,or passed the BQ have to realize people are very sore about the BQ. Poking at our wounds does nothing to help anybody.
You like the fact that there was an OTS bid, but didn't want them to hire and OTS applicants...

Mar 5, 2014
You like the fact that there was an OTS bid, but didn't want them to hire and OTS applicants...
You're cherry picking. I said l like that there was an OTS bid and that there are multiple routes to ATC but I absolutely hate the way they are vetting. Not a knock necessarily against the people who made it to the next level but a knock against the fact that 90 some odd percent of applicants don't even get to take the aptitude test. Some of who are clearly more qualified than the "winners" of the BQ test.