So Cal TRACON - SCT

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
hey fellas, i put in a bid for sct just this week and wanted to find out how it is down there. i currently work at ft worth center. i've been wanting to move back to cali because that's where my family is and we live about 5-10 min. away from the facility. any input would help. thanks! :D

Last edited:

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hope you have some $$$ to be able to live and work there. Training is hard depending on your area assigned. Good Luck!

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
well, we have family over there so we'll live with them till we get settled in and then maybe move to an apt or lease a house. zfw's a level 12 facility so i'm hoping the training i'm getting here is good to get me ready to work a similar amount if not busier traffic/complexity.

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Atc

hey fellas, i put in a bid for sct just this week and wanted to find out how it is down there. i currently work at ft worth center and so far the morale and working environment here is around a 6 or 7 out of 10. i've been wanting to move back to cali because that's where my family is and we live about 5-10 min. away from the facility. any input would help. thanks! :D

Please dont tell me that!

Mr.Texas

Mod
Jun 15, 2008
The family part is a motivating factor for anymove, I want to put in a ERR back to Houston where all my family is. I say go for it!

skybob

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008
SoCal
If you get picked up there let me know and I'll tell you what sectors have all the grumpy people in it.

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
I applied for the last SCT announcement. They offered me a bonus of about $18,000 and a 4% raise. I told them they could keep their bonus and give me a more appropriate raise (going from lvl 10 to 12). They said take it or leave it. I left it. My locality is about the same as SCT and 4% wouldn't make up for the actual cost of living difference.

I hope they've come to their senses and started offering a bigger raise, though that shouldn't affect you too much. I also heard that they hadn't checked anybody out since sept 06.

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Atc

I applied for the last SCT announcement. They offered me a bonus of about $18,000 and a 4% raise. I told them they could keep their bonus and give me a more appropriate raise (going from lvl 10 to 12). They said take it or leave it. I left it. My locality is about the same as SCT and 4% wouldn't make up for the actual cost of living difference.

I hope they've come to their senses and started offering a bigger raise, though that shouldn't affect you too much. I also heard that they hadn't checked anybody out since sept 06.

Thats not cool!!!!!

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
well, i've never worked approach control before...i was stationed in nas lemoore, ca which was an approach control facility but never really got to train on departure or approach...i just did tower, and radar final control positions. i understand the feeling of getting overwhelmed with so much new stuff coz that's how i felt when i first got to ft worth center. but i figured if i just keep motivated i can do it just like i did here in zfw. i was taught that it's a matter of how bad you want it that gets you through everything.

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
ATC

Was the guy you knew a VRA? Just curious. The OTS hires are having a really rough time at my local TRACON.

Thats what I hear about Chicago Tracon also.

dlm

Newcomer
Aug 11, 2008
Looks like i might be on way to SCT and wanted to get some inside info on the training there.

I have herd the washout rate is like 80%, and that most of the veteran controllers do not want to train anyone.

Can anyone give me the scoop on which of the areas are better then others, people wise that is, which ones have the grumpy guys and which dont.

Also herd once you get FD your on crew for mandatory 6 day work weeks and last of all what is the avg check out there?

Any other info or advice anyone has to pass on would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Wow, that sounds like a horrible place to be. dlm, stay focused and positive when you get there it's probably the only way the training experience won't be so bad for ya.

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
Burbank, and Coast are good. Yes the vets are tired. You can help by knowing your shit and not making the same mistakes twice.