So Cal TRACON - SCT

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
i sent a message on someone i saw on myspace that works there...he said they do work 6 day work weeks and that training is backed up coz there are a lot of trainees coming in. he did say they are a good group of people there, didn't mention anything about people there being disgruntled and grumpy...then again it's a common attitude in the faa so maybe we're supposed to expect that from any facility. he also said although everyone's tired and not doing so well with the imposed work rules, he wouldn't work anywhere else coz he loves it there.

meatasaurusx

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2008
Chi-town
hey,

does anyone have the address to the socal tracon? i looked in the link on facility contact info, but all i got was a phone number. anyone know the street address? thanks.

DRG5034

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2009
China Lake
So Cal Tracon - SCT

hello to all out there in ATC world. Does anybody know anything about So Cal Tracon? I have an interview for that facility but am already working a contract job that will turn into 2152 series for DON. I really like this job and its low stress but I hate the town and want to leave. San Diego would be great minus cost of living but everything I've read about SCT has really turned me off to the facilty. Any info on the manning levels, morale, training program, work hours, anything would help me decide. I dont want to make the wrong decision without knowing as much info as possible. Thanks in advance guys.

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal
Re: So Cal Tracon?????????????

There is a girl "SOCAL" that could help with this. She just checked out of FD down there. We have a guy ay my facility that didnt make it at SCT. Ive heard they work alot of 10 hours 6 days/wk type shifts which would be a bitch. Apart from that not much help here.

DRG5034

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2009
China Lake

thanks for the reply, did you hear if it is just the qualified controllers or trainees as well working those horrible horrible shifts or not sure?

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal

im sure it is just the CPCs. when you are in training without being checked out on any positions, you are considered "worthless" simply because you can't technically do anything. i would imagine even getting checked out in a few positions would not make you stay the long hours as well.

just my opinion, of course I do not work there and do not know for sure.

SnowAviation

Jan 29, 2009
Southern California TRACON
Re: So Cal Tracon Question

What SoCal said is mostly spot on, once you get checked out on FD and a sector or two you will be called for overtime is need be. That's easy to avoid if you don't want the extra money, just don't answer the phone. Occasionally you get scheduled and to get out of that requires a trade or calling in sick, something you don't want to do alot when you are new to the agency.

I work in the San Diego area and the scheduled overtime just dropped dramatically, some areas are still working quite a bit of 6 day weeks but that will continue to drop off as staffing levels increase.

SoCal TRACON is, for the most part, not a low stress "Kick Back" place to work but the work is rewarding and fun. The work environment is ok and you will meet lots of great folks.

Come on down, we can always use more people. But keep in mind, it's pretty expensive to live here.

DRG5034

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2009
China Lake

well that sounds good that the staffing levels are coming back up a bit. How long does it generally take to get checked out in say one sector or two and around how long are you qualified guys staying plugged in before your relieved, and when you are relieved what do you do? Do you guys have cubicles or a break room or what? Also hows the management?

scott523

Dec 17, 2008
Philadelphia (Upper Darby), PA, USA

What SoCal said is mostly spot on, once you get checked out on FD and a sector or two you will be called for overtime is need be. That's easy to avoid if you don't want the extra money, just don't answer the phone. Occasionally you get scheduled and to get out of that requires a trade or calling in sick, something you don't want to do alot when you are new to the agency.

I work in the San Diego area and the scheduled overtime just dropped dramatically, some areas are still working quite a bit of 6 day weeks but that will continue to drop off as staffing levels increase.

SoCal TRACON is, for the most part, not a low stress "Kick Back" place to work but the work is rewarding and fun. The work environment is ok and you will meet lots of great folks.

Come on down, we can always use more people. But keep in mind, it's pretty expensive to live here.
That sounds very encouraging. I'm, for the most part, not the "Kick Back" type of person, so I'm willing to step up to the challenge. :cool:

Although I'm still stuck in pubnat7, I'm thinking ahead and so far I'm leaning towards SCT -- away from NCT and PHL (my home). I've always wanted to move to CA so this could be my chance. Think the economy will make things cheaper to move? :rolleyes:

SoCal

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
San Diego

heya DRG- yes the staffing levels are coming up but there are still a lot of trainees here. They are in the midst of redoing the whole training program to better facilitate new hires, VRA/CTI/OTS into the facility. The new training manager is improving things every day and they have top of the line equipment and computers they are implementing into the system.
While in the classroom (about 2 months) you learn the airspace, airports, vectors, frequencies, aircraft types/callsigns, SOP, etc through Raytheon instructors. They are knowledgeable, but there is a lot of self study- sicne repetition is really the only way to get all of it into your head. They want everyone to succeed and they try to balance everyone out knowledge-wise before you hit the floor.

I finished up in the classroom about a week ago and started training on flight data on the floor. For VRA I have a minimum of 10 hours to get checked out which I hit today and was reccomended right off the bat- its pretty easy. I am currently workign LA departures and arrivals but next month they are splitting and I will be staying in arrivals.

Anyways I get so many breaks I dont know what to do with myself. I hardly ever see anyone stay on position for more than 30/45 minutes and they have a good system of relieving everyonein even increments. Most everyone has a great attitude.

They are staggering incoming personel so that each area doesnt get too back logged with trainees. The last 10 controllers all got assigned LA since they are splitting and need the extra bodies to fill in, but now they will be spreading them out more to the other areas.

I gotta get back to flight data now, but if you have questions just PM me...i know the area and can tell you more about housing etc

Charliefoxtrot

Nov 19, 2008
San Diego

Socal,
Not trying to wake the dead here, but how is your training progressing now? Who is the new manager there? Lastly, when are they going to start tours back up?

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA

heya DRG- yes the staffing levels are coming up but there are still a lot of trainees here. They are in the midst of redoing the whole training program to better facilitate new hires, VRA/CTI/OTS into the facility. The new training manager is improving things every day and they have top of the line equipment and computers they are implementing into the system.
While in the classroom (about 2 months) you learn the airspace, airports, vectors, frequencies, aircraft types/callsigns, SOP, etc through Raytheon instructors. They are knowledgeable, but there is a lot of self study- sicne repetition is really the only way to get all of it into your head. They want everyone to succeed and they try to balance everyone out knowledge-wise before you hit the floor.

I finished up in the classroom about a week ago and started training on flight data on the floor. For VRA I have a minimum of 10 hours to get checked out which I hit today and was reccomended right off the bat- its pretty easy. I am currently workign LA departures and arrivals but next month they are splitting and I will be staying in arrivals.

Anyways I get so many breaks I dont know what to do with myself. I hardly ever see anyone stay on position for more than 30/45 minutes and they have a good system of relieving everyonein even increments. Most everyone has a great attitude.

They are staggering incoming personel so that each area doesnt get too back logged with trainees. The last 10 controllers all got assigned LA since they are splitting and need the extra bodies to fill in, but now they will be spreading them out more to the other areas.

I gotta get back to flight data now, but if you have questions just PM me...i know the area and can tell you more about housing etc
that sounds awesome...the bid's open for sct again and i've been thinking about putting in for it. texas is growing on us though...

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
How much notice should I give if I want to tour SCT, if they allow tours? What day is best to come? I will only be in town for 1 week at the end of August.

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I put in for this bid just last week just to see how it'll turn out.

I'm flying in to pick up my family there next week and was hoping I can come check out the facility. Is the usual polo shirt and slacks good enough for the dress code there and do I just have my supe call and set it up so I can come tour the facility? How early do they have to call ahead coz I'm coming over next week and I'm only there for 4 days...

Davo

Trusted Contributor
Mar 14, 2009
I put in for this bid just last week just to see how it'll turn out.

I'm flying in to pick up my family there next week and was hoping I can come check out the facility. Is the usual polo shirt and slacks good enough for the dress code there and do I just have my supe call and set it up so I can come tour the facility? How early do they have to call ahead coz I'm coming over next week and I'm only there for 4 days...
I am sending you a message of the person I contacted. I am touring on the 17th of Aug.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
drop one this way Davo, I'm gonna make my way out there right b4 I go to OKC i think (sept).

CptKen

Newcomer
Aug 5, 2009
Davo, can you shoot one over to me too? I might try to head down there shortly as well.