So Cal TRACON - SCT

killacamp99

Newcomer
Dec 24, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Yeah im VRA got a TOL but wont be going to SCT anytime soon!! anybody else waiting..is so how long have you been waiting for?? SCT only by the way

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
ah ic...thanks. do you work out there? i was trying to get people i can touch base with just to see what's going on out there while i'm waiting/trying to get picked up. i didn't put a bid in for the one that closed last month, i guess i'll try again next time.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
lol.
you rang?
I cant remember the numbers, something like 20 more people inbound this year, and 20 more next... all cpc-it... most from tracon/up-downs.??? Up to a decent amount of CPC's...(like +15 from last yr) but lots of forced retirements looming. Some inter facility movement as well to fix gaps in areas.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
i tell him that all the time... tho to punch him might be tough, hes guarded by super hot chicks out of work, and by crusty old vets at work....

Turns2Final

Newcomer
Mar 28, 2011
I just passed the OAP (operational assessment) test thing at my tower a week ago or so and am heading to SCT for the on site radar stuff first week of October. Has anyone gone through this? Any idea what to expect?

F35

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2010
I just passed the OAP (operational assessment) test thing at my tower a week ago or so and am heading to SCT for the on site radar stuff first week of October. Has anyone gone through this? Any idea what to expect?

Im going out to SCT for the OAP the third week of October. Could you give us any suggestions Turns2Final after you take it please?

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Just wondering if anyone that took the Operation Assessment would like to give out any advice on what it was like. I am applying for A80 and it will use a similiar process.

Does the pre test focus soley on Terminal Operations? I have heard it wasn't very difficuly either way, but coming from Enroute I am wondering if I need to study up on all kinds of special departure rules and wake turbulence stuff.

Plus anything else you want to add from your experience during the week at the facility would be nice too.

F35

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2010
Hey UND grad. I went to SCT for the OAP. I am enroute, and did not study for the pre-test and passed it. It was very general ATC questions like phraseology and stuff with just a few questions there was no way an Enroute guy would know. So I dont think you should worry about studying. The actual OAP was really hard if you are coming from a center. If you have low sectors that are 10,000 ft and below where you are clearing people for approaches, that will help you, but even then, we dont run patterns at the airports in the Center. 1 in 1 out kind of thing. The OAP was several arrivals and departures at the same time coming from a main airport and satellite airports as well. You have to turn aircraft from downwind to base and intercept etc.... and use speeds.

killacamp99

Newcomer
Dec 24, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Does SCT still pick up ERR's? I know there was a bid out last month but do they just fill up all the spots with bids or is there a chance at getting picked up with an ERR? I would have applied for the bid but I didnt get CPC till a week after it closed

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Yep, apply away, every area is understaffed... And next two-3 yrs seem to be the big retirement shove