Solar Eclipse

meatasaurusx

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2008
Chi-town
I saw something online that said the next total solar eclipse in the states will be in 2017. This got me thinking what effect an eclipse would have on airport operations. I'm assimg they would operate as if it were night for the fewi items of darkness but does anything else happen? Also, has anyone worked during one? Just curious. Thanks!

AlphaBravoh

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seems like it would be ops normal to me... As you stated, if visibility is hindered i.e. it becomes so dark that runway lights need to be activated, and night time rules and regs need to be enforced then it's whatever. But honestly, even if you're in the path for a total eclipse... totality is normally only 7 minutes long. Honestly, nothing to really worry over.

Siseneg

Newcomer
Oct 25, 2010
Virginia
During a previous eclipse in the northwest US (I'll let you look that up) Seattle Center did broadcast a verbal NOTAM that all solar powered aircraft should land immediately ... I was in flight, holding above the cloud layer and got a great view and some good photos. Of course, solar power and Seattle .. hmmm ...