Solution to VRA, CTI, OTS Candidate Seniority

Whirlybird19

Chief Editor
Nov 22, 2008
Phoenix
I've just been sitting here browsing the many threads concerning the referral lists, selection panels, and offer letters and it just dawned on me that something needs to be done in order to alleviate all the stress and confusion associated with it all.

Here is my proposal for the new process for 2009...The selection panel hosts THE 1st ANNUAL ATC DODGEBALL TOURNEY. The winner gets first dibs on their state and facility of choice! It would be a fair and indisputable way into get an offer. It would be way more accurate than looking at a resume! I mean is there a better way to decide who should be the next batch of controllers than an intense game of dodgeball?

Do we know when the panel meets this month? I say we all meet in OKC and just start the tourney on the lawn of the academy. WHOSE COMIN WITH ME!?

Max Power

Jun 16, 2008
do the VRA's start the game with their VRA points, like every other federal job.

kycontroller

Jun 17, 2008
do the VRA's start the game with their VRA points, like every other federal job.
Nope and it's BS! It goes by your academy start date, but if there is a tie military time is used as a tie breaker. OTS hires that have to learn the very basics about this job have seniority if they are in your class all because they started two weeks early. It may take them twice as long to get checked out at the facility, but they have seniority!

atcbrownie

Trusted Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
Warrenton Va
Nope and it's BS! It goes by your academy start date, but if there is a tie military time is used as a tie breaker. OTS hires that have to learn the very basics about this job have seniority if they are in your class all because they started two weeks early. It may take them twice as long to get checked out at the facility, but they have seniority!
I thought seniority didn't start until you get to your facility?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
I thought seniority didn't start until you get to your facility?
let's say there is two people in a class both going to the same facility. if person 1 passes the PV and leave OKC on Tuesday then that's the day they consider them for seniority. if person 2 fails the first PV and doesn't pass the retest until Friday then that's the day they consider that person for seniority.

so even if 2 people got to OKC and started the FAA on the same day, person 1 has 3 more days of seniority than person 2.

Whirlybird19

Chief Editor
Nov 22, 2008
Phoenix
What the crap. I saw 5 responses and I just knew for sure I was gathering a crew for the dodgeball game! What is all this stuff about VRA points!!

kycontroller

Jun 17, 2008
The seniority actually goes by your FAA employment date. This is the first day you start the academy. My wife was at her facility for 3 months before they figured this out because someone complained. Everyone thought it was from the time you graduated the academy. Come to find out it is not, but luckily she got to keep her days off.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
hmmm...is that new? cuz my class had one guy fail the PV and he ended up behind everyone else for seniority because we WERE all tied until he failed his PV and got to ZOA 3 days later. so basically he was 3 days behind everyone else for seniority.

RogerRoger

Newcomer
Jun 21, 2008
USA
Wait a second, twice as long to check out......I'm calling BS. The CTI hires in our facility S-U-C-K. Go get a real degree so when you wash you have a back up. Haha!

CTI and OTS are even as far as I'm concerned......or as anyone should be concerned for that matter.

By the way....,anytime you say OTS is better, or CTI is better your gonna get a debate.

RogerRoger

Newcomer
Jun 21, 2008
USA
hmmm...is that new? cuz my class had one guy fail the PV and he ended up behind everyone else for seniority because we WERE all tied until he failed his PV and got to ZOA 3 days later. so basically he was 3 days behind everyone else for seniority.
It does go by your academy start date. Maybe they just used that as the tie-breaker??

We had three peeps including myself start the academy on the same day. I can't remember how we broke the tie. I think we had to draw straws.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
oh okay, i see now. u are definitely a BUE from the day u step into the academy. but when ur talking seniority for the purpose of classmates they go by when u reached AG. so basically u fail ur PV and u get put behind everyone else in ur class.

kycontroller

Jun 17, 2008
I really wasn't referring to CTI. Myself and my wife are both VRA. As far as I am concerned CTI and OTS are the same too, but I will keep that opinion to myself. The seniority thing is not new, but there seem to be a lot of confusion over it. It is written in the NATCA Constitution and that is apparently what the FAA goes by as far as seniority is concerned. I had a friend that said they went by their academy graduation date like you are saying, but that was proven wrong eventually.

KDskylark

Dec 7, 2008
LA
I've worked for senority based operations and the tie breaker is usually your. SSN or Birth date when people have the same start date. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the losing end of that.