Special VFR

barnas

Newcomer
Jun 29, 2012
Hi...
Can a CRJ-200 type aircraft be allowed for Special VFR operations within a control zone?

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Hi...
Can a CRJ-200 type aircraft be allowed for Special VFR operations within a control zone?
Are you in Canada? Asking about the "control zone" sticks out.
In the USA under FAA rules, there's no restriction based on type aircraft.

I don't know of anything (or see anything in their rules) that would be a restriction in Canada either.

barnas

Newcomer
Jun 29, 2012
I completely agree with both of you, but there are some countries that put some restrictions for Special VFR operations. Like in UK, they normally allow special VFR operations to aircraft of MTOW up to 5700 kg only. Some countries allow only CAT A aircraft to operate special VFR flights.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
I completely agree with both of you, but there are some countries that put some restrictions for Special VFR operations. Like in UK, they normally allow special VFR operations to aircraft of MTOW up to 5700 kg only. Some countries allow only CAT A aircraft to operate special VFR flights.
Ok. So you asked the question, didn’t answer where you were, and already know the answer. Is this supposed to be a teaching moment?

barnas

Newcomer
Jun 29, 2012
No..not like that! Actually, I am in dilemma. I wanted to know which is the best idea, whether to allow CAT C aircraft for Special VFR or not? If yes, I wanted to have idea about the regulations that allows it. That's all.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
So in the UK and other parts of Europe, I'm seeing on some sites that Special VFR in control zones is limited to 140kts as a maximum indicated speed.
That would mean there's no way a CRJ200 would be flying around Special VFR.

New rule, old rule and has been outdated, I'm not sure what the case is really.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
So in the UK and other parts of Europe, I'm seeing on some sites that Special VFR in control zones is limited to 140kts as a maximum indicated speed.
That would mean there's no way a CRJ200 would be flying around Special VFR.

New rule, old rule and has been outdated, I'm not sure what the case is really.
I have cleared an rj200 for special vfr twice in my career at LBB, both were test flights.
If the max in the UK is 140 knots, you actually could still have an rj 200 qualify, as max landing weight is 139 knots at 44700 lbs.

Even an rj700 would qualify, at an even slower 135 knots at 66000 max landing weight.

The rj900 is not able to get below 140 and stay up, but just barely.
If you keeps flaps out, I feel you could easily keep below 140 knots, especially below weight limits.

Obviously if the 5700kg and cat A rule were not a factor.

Last edited: