Spring 2012: Alaska

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
Sound off and let's get a network going of who is going to Alaska. We can make a Facebook group and keep in touch and help each other out when the Academy comes or what not. Stick together!

Name: Paul B.
Grad: Dec 2011
Grad From: FSCJ
Panel: 1st
WQ or Q: WQ
Networked: No
Live: Florida

Last edited:

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
Wow PEB, FL to AK? Get ready for a change...

Congrats on getting selected...I was selected for ZAN during nov 11 panels. Just waiting on a class date now.

Akflyer

Newcomer
Dec 8, 2011
Anchorage
DLM got to say I like your profile picture. HA! I am glad to see that more people are getting picked up for AK. The more people they select, the higher our seniority goes even before we get to OKC. :D

bonanzaflight

Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
Columbus, OH-ZAN
Congrats everyone on getting selected. I am in the same boat as DeltaLimaMike. Going to ZAN, medically cleared, and waiting on a class date. Wait seems like it takes FOREVER!!

Grad: May 2011
Grad from: CCBC (PA)
Panel: Nov 2011

TAJ

Trusted Contributor
May 16, 2010
Name: Theo
Grad: Spring 2011
Grad From: Grcc
Panel: 2nd
WQ or Q: WQ
Networked: No
Live: Alaska/WA

- I don't have a facebook or anything (I know.. Lame) but in a year or two when we start getting class dates I'd love to meet up with some people headed to AK. Maybe we can do some flying together if you guys are pilots?

mbert08

Oct 14, 2010
Pier 39
I'll be your roommate like old times at the Academy there PEB.

How long after you guys found out your results until you interviewed? And how long generally does it take to get a class date after the interview? Thx.

Grad in Dec 2011
March 2012 Panel
Selected for Florida first panel.

sajgracer1

Oct 14, 2008
California
How long after you guys found out your results until you interviewed? And how long generally does it take to get a class date after the interview? Thx.
QUOTE]

Seems like the peeps up in AK interviewed within a week or two after selection. I live in CA, selected for ZAN in NOV didn't interview until Jan 16th. Still waiting on my TOL, but I just talked to HR and think it's any day now. Other people selected at the same time got it a couple months ago.

AlaskanMatt

Sep 3, 2009
Alaska
Congrats to all who just got selected!

I'm another one of the ZAN (fall 2011 panel) group. I hope to work with all of you in the not-too-distant future, maybe some of us will be in OKC together.

Last edited:

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
Looks to me a ton of guys got picked up for the center last panel. Think this panel we are going to Terminal/TRACON?

Can't wait to get things rolling. I am confident we have a good group of people here. For sure will have to get together.

The drastic change from FL to AK will be a little rough. I have family there so I know they can give me a few pointers. ;)

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
Are all of you Center Hires ? I am a Terminal Controller at MRI.
It seems like most of the AK selections lately have been for ZAN. I know of one person who got FAI, and another who got A11, but everybody else has been given ZAN.

Not to get off topic, but how long have you been over at MRI Eman? I got my private pilot training done over there a few years ago, you guys do good work and were always extremely helpful to student pilots like myself.

rymn

Apr 25, 2010
ZAN
I can not wait for my letter. Every time my phone dings I have to check it hopping it's the FAA! It never is.. Just work adding more stops to my route.. :/. I instantly go from hopefully and excited to disappointed that my day got longer. Lol

Last edited:

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
What is ANC like? (Things to do or see?) I am from Florida. I know the weather is going to be completely different, which I don't mind since I have been to Germany in the winter months (-5F). Any recommendations?

rymn

Apr 25, 2010
ZAN
What is ANC like? (Things to do or see?) I am from Florida. I know the weather is going to be completely different, which I don't mind since I have been to Germany in the winter months (-5F). Any recommendations?
It's so great! Anchorage is on a peninsula so the temperature isn't extreme. Summers are high 70's to low 80's. Winters get down to 0-20f usually. If there's a blizzard or harsh cold front can get like -10, but that's rare.

The whole city was well panned, there are highways EVERYWHERE! I used to live off Diamond and Jewl lake(south west) and could get to school in the north east (UAA) is like 10 min..

There are 4-5 full malls depending on who you ask. ANC is also home to the highest grossing best buy in the country (maybe world, don't remember). There's everything from "mom and pop" shops to Nordstrom and 5 star restaurants.

Everyone is real nice, except the homeless/drunk alaska natives. Most people are good drivers and will hold doors and say hi. Most people enjoy the outdoors. There's lots of hiking, fishing, shopping and drinking. Did I meantion drinking? Everyone drinks.

ANC Gets most of its money from fishing, and hospatility. Huge tourist attraction, which means lots of fun stuff. For instance every fall a herd of horse drawn carriages roam downtown between all the bars; it awesome!

There are 3 facilities: Ted Stevan's International Airport, Merral Field and Anchorage Center.

If you have any questions just ask, I think I've seen a lot up there.

PapaEchoBravo

Trusted Member
Jun 10, 2011
Oviedo, FL headed to ZAN
It's so great! Anchorage is on a peninsula so the temperature isn't extreme. Summers are high 70's to low 80's. Winters get down to 0-20f usually. If there's a blizzard or harsh cold front can get like -10, but that's rare.

The whole city was well panned, there are highways EVERYWHERE! I used to live off Diamond and Jewl lake(south west) and could get to school in the north east (UAA) is like 10 min..

There are 4-5 full malls depending on who you ask. ANC is also home to the highest grossing best buy in the country (maybe world, don't remember). There's everything from "mom and pop" shops to Nordstrom and 5 star restaurants.

Everyone is real nice, except the homeless/drunk alaska natives. Most people are good drivers and will hold doors and say hi. Most people enjoy the outdoors. There's lots of hiking, fishing, shopping and drinking. Did I meantion drinking? Everyone drinks.

ANC Gets most of its money from fishing, and hospatility. Huge tourist attraction, which means lots of fun stuff. For instance every fall a herd of horse drawn carriages roam downtown between all the bars; it awesome!

There are 3 facilities: Ted Stevan's International Airport, Merral Field and Anchorage Center.

If you have any questions just ask, I think I've seen a lot up there.
Great!! Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be tons of fun. :)

Last edited:

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
I've lived up here for about 21 years now. Rymn is right about the weather, it is fairly mild for Alaska. 70s are considered nice days in the summer, it is usually in the high 60s. 80s are rare. Expect snow to be on the ground constantly from nov-may. This winter was insane, we had about 130" of snow and a solid month where it was below 0 every day. Not to mention the dark. Get ready to only see daylight for 4-5 hours a day. They are survivable if you find ways to stay active, such as skiing, snowshoeing, etc. However, the long days in the summer more than make up for it for me, June sees days where it never gets completely dark, the sun just dips below the horizon and then comes back up a few hours later.

It is a pretty easy town to get around, you can easily get from one side to the other in about 20min, add about 10-15 to that in rush hour.

Technically we have 4 FAA facilities in town, Ted Stevens Anchorage International, Anchorage Tracon, Merrill Field, and Anchorage Center. Ted Stevens (which includes lake hood seaplane base, one of the largest seaplane bases in the world) and Anchorage Approach are located on the west side of town, Merrill is a big GA airport located downtown, and Anchorage Center is a few miles northeast of MRI next to Elmendorf AFB. I've toured each facility a couple times, they all seem like great places to work here in Anchorage, if you are lucky enough to get placed here.