St Martin

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I'm sure you've all seen the videos, but I just got back from a cruise that stopped in St Martin. I of course had to stop and check out the airport for myself. It is in fact as crazy as it appears. Of course I took my own video.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiKU7GSrug0&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
u shoulda rode the fence man!
Riding the fence also means dodging traffic now. They extended the fence directly behind the runway all the way to the road. It's only another 10 feet, but you have to stand on the road to be next to the fence. Doesn't leave much room, and the taxis don't seem too concerned with pedestrians lol

nja0423

May 4, 2009
we control non radar traffic into there. From december thru late january, there are so many planes that go into there you sometimes have to pancake 10 airplanes because the ramp is completely full. i watched a supervisor sit down and completely freeze because he had about 100 strips on the board and overflowing into an "overflow board" was pretty insane.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
that's awesome. imagine if a heavy 74 came blowing in. that would be epic. that's assuming they can even get a 74 into that airport.
They def can. Sadly I didn't see it land, but it was departing not long after I got to the airport.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEeFL1dOzz0&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
that is absolutley crazy and out of control. i would LOVE to see that live one day. crazy!!! especially the 74.
It was awesome. There is also a bar right there on the beach, so you can sit and drink all day and watch the planes come and go.

I took the videos and pictures with my cell phone, so it's not like I had any awesome equipment to make the stuff look closer than it was. You're really standing right under it as they come in

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Who and where did you book w?
The cruise was through Norwegian on their newest ship the Epic. Booked through a local travel agent, but the rates on their website for cruises were the same. Once on the island my wife and I did a tour through Bernard's Tours which I found on Trip Advisor.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
The cruise was through Norwegian on their newest ship the Epic. Booked through a local travel agent, but the rates on their website for cruises were the same. Once on the island my wife and I did a tour through Bernard's Tours which I found on Trip Advisor.
Thanks man. Gotta look into that. Could please the lady and my inner aviation nerd at the same time.

Atcmitch

Trusted Contributor
Apr 8, 2011
Was in st. Martin years ago and I cannot believe I didn't visit this when I was there! I have to go back now

MikeSierra84

Newcomer
Mar 26, 2011
NY
I went to St Martin over the summer and hung out at this beach for a day. It's a must for anyone in aviation (if you can afford it). It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I stood right under the planes as they were coming in and held on to the fence as they were taking off.

My friends and I waited all day on the beach for a 747 to take off and finally it did at around 4PM and it was worth it. At first you're scared that you're gonna get blown away but then after a few seconds you realize you're ok as long as you hang on.

Dont worry about the traffic, they stop whenever the planes are taking off and they see a hundred people running to hang on the fence so they'll wait til its over.

P.S. The airport/beach is on the south (dutch) side of the island so keep that in mind when booking your stay.

elliott2e

Sep 14, 2010
Orlando, Florida
I was in the Navy and we ported in there. A bunch of us guys were walking around drinking and stumbled across this cove or cliff and decided to jump off of it bc there was a sign that said no to (of course). While jumping I saw this 747 coming in and I honestly thought that the plane was going to crash bc I didn't even know that there was an airport there. You can see the cliff in the video it's in the upper right hand corner. I want to go back there so bad. There's a bar on the beach and you can watch planes come in all day.