St. Thomas Tower - STT

penaltyvectoring

Newcomer
Aug 9, 2009
Has anybody been to the tower in St. Thomas or worked there? I've been at a level 7 tower/tracon for 7 years and I just submitted an ERR to go out there. There isn't much on the web about the facility, and no pics that I can find.

penaltyvectoring

Newcomer
Aug 9, 2009
Re: STT Tower (St. Thomas, USVI)?

That's the first link I found to the facility, but it hasn't been updated since '98 and the e-mail addy on it is incorrect. I eventually, after rigorous search engine hunting, tracked down the current NATCA rep and ATM. I ended up getting contact info for both, so I've got current insider info, I'm just trying to gather as many "band camp stories" before I make it out there. I went to terminalapps.faa.gov and they're slotted for 8 controllers and appear to be fully staffed. I'm just gonna keep shoving my ERR under their door and hope they take pity on desparate lil ol' me.

ZDCATC

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2009
ZDC

One of our developmentals just got reassigned to St. Thomas, after failing to check out here - reported down there early this year (Feb or March I think).

I've heard that she loves it down there.

I may be able to get her contact info if you're interested or pass yours along, just PM me.

penaltyvectoring

Newcomer
Aug 9, 2009

Well, I'm going there in mid-September for a scouting trip. I'm calling it a mini-vacation, but I'll be taking a tour of the facility (mostly to get my face known) and check out prices, housing, and drive times. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics of the tower to post up for everybody. Chant with me now... No hurricanes... No hurricanes... No hurricanes...

P_to_the_R

Ruler of the Movement Area
Nov 19, 2008
funkytown

One of our developmentals just got reassigned to St. Thomas, after failing to check out here
WOW! talk about rewarding bad behavior...lol

can i rescind my cpc and try to wash out to the islands!!! what a lucky break for her!

Last edited:

penaltyvectoring

Newcomer
Aug 9, 2009
I just got back from visiting the facility and checking out the island. Some may look at STT as a punishment. The cost of living is through the roof. $2000 per month will get you one side of a crappy, run-down duplex with little to no view. Good luck finding a cheap rental if you have pets. We have two great danes and the only decent looking rental that would take us was going to cost $2300 per month plus utilities (which are insanely expensive as well). Toothpaste was $7-$9 per tube. You might as well forget about eating cheese regularly unless you qualify for a loan. Rum is cheap though, so this is an alchoholic's paradise. $9 for a liter of Bacardi. $8 for the local Cruzan rum. A mediocre quality (Chilis/On the Border) style restaurant will run you $60-$70 on a dinner for two with no alcohol. There's no way on Earth that a freshly washed out developmental can live out there and save anything for retirement. The 2012 payscales will make it easier, but it will still be hard to make it out there. Most of the people out there are Enroute washouts and don't like living there one bit. Sure, the island is beautiful and the shopping opportunities are plentiful, but you have to have quite the cash flow to take advantage of all the leisure activities. I'm still looking to ERR out there, but I think I'll wait until the 2012 payscales come out. My wife and I are DINKs with no debt except a mortage and there's no way we could do it and save for retirement under white book pay. I'll post up a few pics that I took so anyone else interested can get a better idea of the place.

Mr.Texas

Mod
Jun 15, 2008
Please do post pics. I'm not interested in going out there but would love to see pics.

Swim

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Far north
Ah yes, STT the other facility I've been trying to get to for over 2 years.... ERR paperwork was in and has been re-submitted 2 times now. Yeah, high cost of living, but man, who can beat the diving!!!

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
Hey everyone

I jsut got my e-mail for STT. Can anyone tell me anything about the facility? Specifically the housing situation? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

tinkluver

Rookie
Jun 11, 2009
There's a rumor I heard about FAA housing? I also heard some people there are trying to swap to my facility and am trying to figure out how insane pricing really is there.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
There's a rumor I heard about FAA housing? I also heard some people there are trying to swap to my facility and am trying to figure out how insane pricing really is there.

What facility are you at if you don't mind me asking? I work at STT and I can confirm that there are a lot of us trying to get out. To any facility in particular, I cannot say. We are losing one next week, another in March, and a third next summer, with about 4 more controllers about to submit ERR papers. Send me a PM with any questions you may have.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
They pay part of your housing, all utilites (which are really high) and about 60% of your rent. I think a 1/1 is about $500 and a 2/1 is about $700. This is really good because I was looking for a place on my own and simalar places cost about 2,600 plus utilites($600) for a 2/1. Hope this helps, I'm new.