Staffing Levels

faastuff

Newcomer
Jun 9, 2011
FAA staffing on the local facility level is mostly determined on a case-by-case and day-to-day basis. You can be told a facility is not available to you today, but it's available to somebody else tomorrow. I have learned this in 25 years in the FAA. It's who you know that counts. This fact has worked for me and against me in the past. Every 5 to 10 years the calculation method for staffing levels has changed, too. Advice used to be to always take first offer, get FPL at first facility, then "pay back" facility by spending FPL time there equal to the time you spent in training there. This has probably changed, too. Work hard, be patient, and make your current facility a fun, learning environment. Use your connections to get where you want to be.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
FAA staffing on the local facility level is mostly determined on a case-by-case and day-to-day basis. You can be told a facility is not available to you today, but it's available to somebody else tomorrow. I have learned this in 25 years in the FAA. It's who you know that counts. This fact has worked for me and against me in the past. Every 5 to 10 years the calculation method for staffing levels has changed, too. Advice used to be to always take first offer, get FPL at first facility, then "pay back" facility by spending FPL time there equal to the time you spent in training there. This has probably changed, too. Work hard, be patient, and make your current facility a fun, learning environment. Use your connections to get where you want to be.
Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. What you described is 100% the old process. Now, it's some arbitrary number game. NCEPT (National Centralized ERR Processing Team) is now in charge of all placement and has really put a lock down on movement. Everything is determined at a national level now.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
guess that's new.

as of last fall it was offered to enroute grads on a case-by-case basis, but you had to have a valid reason to go there. for instance you're from hawaii originally and/or have family there.
It's not that new. I graduated the academy (terminal) in February of 2015. Some of my classmates went directly to HCF.

Chandu

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for all the input, I still have hopes for Alaska though I know it's a long shot. Can any recent grads from okc (or if you just know) state what/how many facilities they were offered? A friend told me Chicago and New York are hurting and to expect that to be on the list of facilities through the end of the year. Don't hold me to that, just parroting info, but thought I'd share. Also, kind of off topic, my friend in asked around and told me that while the psych eval can take up to 6 months to clear, the investagator/security clearance tends to go by much faster, two weeks was the average after the meeting according to a few at ZAN. Any info would be helpful. I'm really looking forward to the end of my bartending career.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for all the input, I still have hopes for Alaska though I know it's a long shot. Can any recent grads from okc (or if you just know) state what/how many facilities they were offered? A friend told me Chicago and New York are hurting and to expect that to be on the list of facilities through the end of the year. Don't hold me to that, just parroting info, but thought I'd share. Also, kind of off topic, my friend in asked around and told me that while the psych eval can take up to 6 months to clear, the investagator/security clearance tends to go by much faster, two weeks was the average after the meeting according to a few at ZAN. Any info would be helpful. I'm really looking forward to the end of my bartending career.
Go on point 65. The current Enroute and terminal placement lists are on there in full.

BGaviator13

Apr 10, 2015
If the rumors are true, ZNY should be shutting the doors soon to AG's. Should have already happened with the type of backlog they have right now

BGaviator13

Apr 10, 2015
Enroute here waiting on a date. Really interested in Guam. Have watched tons of slots sit at the top of the list. So you're saying since it's OCONUS I can basically just say, "hey I want Guam" and I got it? Do they ask for any preferences like that at the beginning?
Guam has been showing up as an alternate on the placement list recently. You might not even have to make a specific request to get it.

Why Guam?

Kcwarner

Oct 7, 2012
Kansas
Guam has been showing up as an alternate on the placement list recently. You might not even have to make a specific request to get it.

Why Guam?
Family staying here and keeping our current house. Guam is cheap, quick to certify, and vacationey. We have flight benefits through the wife so they can come visit. Win win win.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Family staying here and keeping our current house. Guam is cheap, quick to certify, and vacationey. We have flight benefits through the wife so they can come visit. Win win win.
I'll give you quick to certify and vacationey, but real estate and necessary essentials (milk, groceries, etc.) ain't cheap.

ATCGoat

Newcomer
Jan 4, 2017
Lot of suspect information in this thread.

Alaska and Hawaii are explicitly unavailable. Those facilities used to be alternates, meaning that you could opt out of the list you were offered and go there instead. As of at least a couple weeks ago, the current alternate options are New York, Oakland, Guam.

OP, your buddy had at least a couple more options. They can't put more than four slots from one facility in the first 24 options.

I'm in OKC now and have seen most the lists as they are offered. Common locations are New York, Memphis, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Albuquerque, Miami. We've been shown by the people who handle placement that, barring major disruptions, places such as Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake, Minneapolis, and Jacksonville are all hundreds of slots away from being offered again.

Kcwarner

Oct 7, 2012
Kansas
I'll give you quick to certify and vacationey, but real estate and necessary essentials (milk, groceries, etc.) ain't cheap.
I just need a place to sleep. You can find cheap housing for under a grand. And I can afford milk on a CPC salary. I'll stick with water in the meantime :D

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011

Alaska and Hawaii are explicitly unavailable. Those facilities used to be alternates, meaning that you could opt out of the list you were offered and go there instead. As of at least a couple weeks ago, the current alternate options are New York, Oakland, Guam.

OP, your buddy had at least a couple more options. They can't put more than four slots from one facility in the first 24 options.

I'm in OKC now and have seen most the lists as they are offered. Common locations are New York, Memphis, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Albuquerque, Miami. We've been shown by the people who handle placement that, barring major disruptions, places such as Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake, Minneapolis, and Jacksonville are all hundreds of slots away from being offered again.
Except if only 6-8 people graduate if could certainly only be 2 options no?

DylanDem

Newcomer
Dec 23, 2013
Daytona Beach

Currently in OKC as well and was told last week that Oakland is no longer being offered as an alternate. Where did you get this info? Also, Puerto Rico CERAP is an option for an alternate.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Currently in OKC as well and was told last week that Oakland is no longer being offered as an alternate. Where did you get this info? Also, Puerto Rico CERAP is an option for an alternate.
I believe you win for most current information. This will always be fluid based on staffing levels.

ATCGoat

Newcomer
Jan 4, 2017
Month and change ago. But they did mention that it may not be that way for much longer. Guess they werent lying!

BGaviator13

Apr 10, 2015
Month and change ago. But they did mention that it may not be that way for much longer. Guess they werent lying!
Oakland is loaded up with trainees right now as is New York. It shouldn't be too long before New York shuts the doors for awhile.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
This new hiring system is so dumb. Hundreds of people stuck in places they don't want to live while people who already live in Alaska or Hawaii are sent away.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
This new hiring system is so dumb. Hundreds of people stuck in places they don't want to live while people who already live in Alaska or Hawaii are sent away.
Welcome to government logic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk