States with the facilities doing the most hiring.....

wiscoacey

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2009
Hi, new to this forum. Just got my geo pref email today like a lot of people and had a few questions.......

1. Which states/facilities are doing the most hiring. I don't want to put down a state with facilities that are pretty stagnant and sit on the waiting list forever.

2. I heard that Texas is hiring a lot. If I put down TX is there a way I can single out facilities like Amarillo or others that are so isolated it's just you and the armadillos/rattlers?

3. I really don't mind where I end up so long as it's not the northeast like JFK or New York apch. Should I call them and say "send me anywhere but x,y,z"?

Good luck to everyone, hope we all make it to OKC soon.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
1. Best bet is New York or Alaska

2. TX hires alot because they have a lot of facilities. No you cannot single out facilities. All you can do is decline a job offer if you dont like it and hope to get another offer.

3. You can call and say that but honestly... they dont give a shit about you. They will move onto one of the other 10,000 applicants.

g35tar

May 26, 2009
Keep in mind though, in the big states like Texas, Florida, etc.., they ask you to also put specific counties in the comment box. Not sure how much they actually take those into consideration, but it has to be there for a reason.

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Hi, new to this forum. Just got my geo pref email today like a lot of people and had a few questions.......

1. Which states/facilities are doing the most hiring. I don't want to put down a state with facilities that are pretty stagnant and sit on the waiting list forever.
I've heard Louisiana is in need of controllers. Two of my classmates got offered jobs in Louisiana and it wasn't on either of their geo pref. They both turned it down and were offered ARTCC's out west.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
When I was at the PEPC in Chicago they said that Louisana and Alaska were the two states that are being expedited. They said those states should only take about 4 weeks and every other state should expect a minimum of 8 weeks. So take that as you will. And I personally think West Virginia may be hiring as well. But I'm not sure on that.

ParrotheadJGR11

Apr 2, 2009
Atlanta
Keep in mind though, in the big states like Texas, Florida, etc.., they ask you to also put specific counties in the comment box. Not sure how much they actually take those into consideration, but it has to be there for a reason.
i just put "willing to work in all counties" where it asked for specifics

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
IDK what the answer is ... but if you look at some of the other PUBNAT forums you may find that even areas with a lot of facilities are not hiring because they already have too many people in the pipeline. I put the Seattle Metro as my number one (using the specific counties in the free form box) and I also put the SF Bay area as my number two (again using the specific counties in the free form box) ... I also put that I was willing to take jobs in the Portland, Salt Lake or Denver metro areas in the free form area.

I was offered ZOA - Oakland Center from PUBNAT 5.

I later found out that I would not get Seattle tracon or Center because they already have too many trainees. I have a relative at Seattle tracon that even put a good word in for me to their rep on the panel.

So my suggestions is to try to put your second choice as a larger area with lots of facilities (towers, tracon and center) that most people would not want. SF Bay area has a high cost of living and most people with a family would not want to be there. Some would say the same about LA but keep in mind that the tracon is in San Diego and ZLA center is in Palmdale.

Also like I mentioned above ... keep in mind when you specify counties that facilities are all over the Metro areas. ZOA is in Fremont (Alameda County) all the way down by San Jose.... NorCal Tracon is in Mather, CA near Sacramento! ZMP is in Farmington ... in Scott County (nowhere near the Metro) and ZDV is in Longmont (not sure what county)

Michael

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
If you live near any of the facilities you're interested in working at, go there for a tour and see if the manager can give you any insight about staffing levels at his/her facility and about any others nearby. If that's not an option or you don't have time, you can always try calling a couple of facilities and see what they'll tell you over the phone (not much, is my guess, if they don't know you. can't hurt to try though).

wiscoacey

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks, thinking about putting Wisconsin and Indiana as tower and center and see how it goes. Anyone hear anything about these states. If I put down Wisconsin any idea if they would try to place me in Rockford IL since it is in the vacinity of Wisconsin or do they stick to the Geoprefs.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Thanks, thinking about putting Wisconsin and Indiana as tower and center and see how it goes. Anyone hear anything about these states. If I put down Wisconsin any idea if they would try to place me in Rockford IL since it is in the vacinity of Wisconsin or do they stick to the Geoprefs.
They stick to what state it is in. Since Rockford is in IL, then you'd have to put down IL to hope for that. Just like the Cincinnati airport, is actually in KY.

ATC92592

Rookie
Jul 27, 2009
Anyone hear anything on California and Hawaii? I did not select counties in california cause I'll go anywhere. Is that a bad idea?

Aviationnut

Newcomer
Jun 20, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
They stick to what state it is in. Since Rockford is in IL, then you'd have to put down IL to hope for that. Just like the Cincinnati airport, is actually in KY.
Also another good example is KLUK even though it is located in Ohio it is considered Kentucky in terms of facility management. I found this out after a visit to KCVG.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Anyone hear anything on California and Hawaii? I did not select counties in california cause I'll go anywhere. Is that a bad idea?
Other than ZLA, California hasn't been too busy in recent PUBNATS. Hawaii had their own PUBNAT so it's quite possible that they met there staffing requirements with that.

coryvstheworld

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2009
I selected West Virginia and Virginia. Should I change? My first state is VA, but for my other state I wanted to pick the best option for any of VA's borders.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
I selected West Virginia and Virginia. Should I change? My first state is VA, but for my other state I wanted to pick the best option for any of VA's borders.
That would be West Virginia. They were hiring like crazy a while back. I haven't seen much lately, but has definitely been a good one as far as need.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Hawaii had their own PUBNAT so it's quite possible that they met there staffing requirements with that.
Nooooo, not even close. PUBHI and PUBAK were just address immediate staffing crises; same deal with the Louisiana letter, they just looked up people who got passed over instead of doing a PUBLA.

Hawaii's still hirin'. I'd suggest getting in touch with their district manager, but when I talked to him, he didn't seem to have much interest in helping out applicants. Instead, try the NATCA guys. All the ones I talked with out there were real helpful.

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
Nooooo, not even close. PUBHI and PUBAK were just address immediate staffing crises; same deal with the Louisiana letter, they just looked up people who got passed over instead of doing a PUBLA.

Hawaii's still hirin'. I'd suggest getting in touch with their district manager, but when I talked to him, he didn't seem to have much interest in helping out applicants. Instead, try the NATCA guys. All the ones I talked with out there were real helpful.
Plenty of spots in Alaska too. mmmm Snow cones.

Charliefoxtrot

Nov 19, 2008
San Diego
To put it simply: You don't get paid to relocate your family, sell a house, etc when starting with the ATC. This job doesn't pay a lot up front, and the likelihood of recouping that relocation cost in the first year is near nil. So, if you get Alaska and can't afford to move, then you have to decline and wait around for the next announcement 6 months later. Some folks don't have six months to spare....