Staying in a Camper at the Academy

brettp2004

Rookie
Jan 17, 2017
Surely this has been asked somewhere but I can't find much info. If I have a camper I wanted to bring to the Academy, would I be able to stay in it and still receive the housing per diem? I would still have to pay for a place to park it and hook ups. Any help is appreciated.

TangoBravo

Jun 14, 2012
Ya why not. FAA pays you and you do what you want. You don't provide proof of where ur staying.

NBH

Newcomer
Apr 12, 2015
I had to provide a lease stating my address and apartment phone number. I'm unsure about camper, I would ask HR about that.

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
I'm sure people have done it, and passed. Personally, I would say not to do it. Living somewhere like Kim's Place will give you roommates that are in your class and make studying MUCH easier. I doubt I would have made it, if I didn't have people around me constantly studying. I'm assuming this is for ATC.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
Guy from our class did the camper thing and they were not trying to give him the whole lodging per diem. Dont know if he ever got it settled but he did pass

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Great :p:p:p:p:p:p:p idea, take a camper to Tornado Alley. Have you not seen Twister?

brettp2004

Rookie
Jan 17, 2017
Great :p:p:p:p:p:p:p idea, take a camper to Tornado Alley. Have you not seen Twister?
I already live in Tornado Alley! My only concern would be missing out on studying with classmates like others have mentioned. I'm going to be on a pretty tight budget while I'm there and I was thinking maybe staying in my camper would help my family back home a little bit. But if they try to not pay full per diem then it would defeat the purpose. Thanks for the info everyone!

b777erj145

Rookie
Nov 3, 2016
I have already posted this question but forgot where so I live in OKC. So how my lodging is going to work? Am I allowed to commute? And what is lodging per diem? Can I stay at lodges over there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

kjem

Rookie
May 13, 2011
Florida
I have already posted this question but forgot where so I live in OKC. So how my lodging is going to work? Am I allowed to commute? And what is lodging per diem? Can I stay at lodges over there?

If you stay home, then you do not get the per diem for lodging but you will be eligible for the per diem for meals. If you do choose to leave home and take advantage of the per diem for lodging, keep in mind that if you are within 50 miles you are not eligible for the credit card and will have to up front the cost and be reimbursed for lodging and food.

b777erj145

Rookie
Nov 3, 2016
If you stay home, then you do not get the per diem for lodging but you will be eligible for the per diem for meals. If you do choose to leave home and take advantage of the per diem for lodging, keep in mind that if you are within 50 miles you are not eligible for the credit card and will have to up front the cost and be reimbursed for lodging and food.
Thanks

Bogier6

Jul 9, 2010
I was under the impression if you live within a certain distance from okc you will not be eligible for lodging per di. Wouldn't you have to change your address to someone (family maybe) who lives far enough away to take advantage of the per diem?

flyinnc2fl

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2018
Fairfax, VA
I already live in Tornado Alley! My only concern would be missing out on studying with classmates like others have mentioned. I'm going to be on a pretty tight budget while I'm there and I was thinking maybe staying in my camper would help my family back home a little bit. But if they try to not pay full per diem then it would defeat the purpose. Thanks for the info everyone!
What did you end up doing? I am wanting to also stay in a campground and I’ve been getting mixed reviews about whether or not you are eligible for per diem

phrenetik

Nov 7, 2016
What did you end up doing? I am wanting to also stay in a campground and I’ve been getting mixed reviews about whether or not you are eligible for per diem
tons of students share big airbnbs etc and type up receipts in a word document and print them..it's really not that hard to find lodging receipts and doctor them yourself.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
lol well how official does it have to be? Could one student rent the Airbnb and then sup rent it out and make a profit? wouldn't be much different than buying a house for 4 months and renting the other rooms out to students. And then you just have to hope the person at the top of the pyramid is generous and gives dividends lol.

MikeKiloRomeo

Feb 28, 2016
Just stay where most of your class does. It’s so much easier and you won’t be the weird guy who lives in a camper.