Still Possible?

Adder007USA

Newcomer
Aug 30, 2014
I've sent a question into FAA.gov regarding this, but I'm not sure how quickly they'll respond, so I'm asking here

Background: I attended an ATC-CTI program, finishing in summer 2011 with the associates degree. At the time, I was told I would likely be unable to start work for another 2 years due to the hiring freeze, or something along those lines. I had taken the AT-SAT, recieved a 92 on it, but because of financial matters I had to find something else to do with myself while waiting. I forget if I had "put my name on the list" so to speak (It was 2 years ago), but while waiting, I went to A&P school while working part time, found out that I was halfway decent at it, and have since then been working as a mechanic the last year or so. I'd seen in the news that ATC controllers weren't being hired as quickly, and that some towers had closed even, so it wasn't the first thing on my mind since I seemed to have found a steady source of income.

Fast forward to today, my family has pointed out that as I'm still only 28, I'm not too old to go into ATC. Mechanic work, while constant, isn't the best paying, and there's no age limit for that, so I'm curious if it's still possible for me to become a controller. I do still have my score results slip with the 92 on it (the one they told you not to lose at any cost). So, is it possible? Or has the door closed for me because I may or may not have put my name in the hat right away? If it is possible, what's my next step? The FAA website isn't the clearest on what to do.

Thanks for any feedback.

wilme861

May 20, 2009
I've sent a question into FAA.gov regarding this, but I'm not sure how quickly they'll respond, so I'm asking here

Background: I attended an ATC-CTI program, finishing in summer 2011 with the associates degree. At the time, I was told I would likely be unable to start work for another 2 years due to the hiring freeze, or something along those lines. I had taken the AT-SAT, recieved a 92 on it, but because of financial matters I had to find something else to do with myself while waiting. I forget if I had "put my name on the list" so to speak (It was 2 years ago), but while waiting, I went to A&P school while working part time, found out that I was halfway decent at it, and have since then been working as a mechanic the last year or so. I'd seen in the news that ATC controllers weren't being hired as quickly, and that some towers had closed even, so it wasn't the first thing on my mind since I seemed to have found a steady source of income.

Fast forward to today, my family has pointed out that as I'm still only 28, I'm not too old to go into ATC. Mechanic work, while constant, isn't the best paying, and there's no age limit for that, so I'm curious if it's still possible for me to become a controller. I do still have my score results slip with the 92 on it (the one they told you not to lose at any cost). So, is it possible? Or has the door closed for me because I may or may not have put my name in the hat right away? If it is possible, what's my next step? The FAA website isn't the clearest on what to do.

Thanks for any feedback.
You're still eligible to apply. Watch the forums here and www.usajobs.gov for information on the next application period. These forums will blow up when they get announced so you won't miss it but should be at the beginning of the year or so.

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago
You can apply to the next open announcement. Being CTI doesn't qualify you anymore but you can still apply without it. You will have to retake the ATSAT if you pass the initial screening. Basically, nothing you've done in the past will really help you at this point.

P.S. You can't remember if you even applied after graduating or not? That's weird.

Adder007USA

Newcomer
Aug 30, 2014
I know I didn't submit through FAA.gov. The reason I'm not sure is that a lot of our application paperwork was handled by the school, for example, the AT-SAT signup and such, so I'm drawing a blank on what I told them specifically, or if that part was on me. Regardless, thanks for the information.

On a related note, since I'm obviously going to be a little rusty, any advice on what to study up for in advance, or if there's anything in particular I should review? Might as well get a head start on that while I'm waiting.

Last edited:

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Yeah the schools generally handle getting you the ATSAT and sending you recommendation to the FAA. YOU have to actually apply via an announcement on USAJOBS. So I guess now you are thrown in the mix with everyone else and unless you are some kind of minority then your chances aren't very good.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Well fortunately for me it was dismissed per the officers request/recommendation after acknowledging he screwed up the breathalyzer causing it to read artificially high and not any fancy tricks from my lawyer.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Ya know..... I kind of got to side with good ole NE on this one.... "I don't remember if I applied". You don't remember the heartfelt elation at seeing you were selected to a review panel, only to be pulled down by the jaws of defeat into a dark depression upon reading that you were not selected? Ya I'm gonna say you never actually put that app in.

HOW DO YOU THROW DOWN ON A DEGREE AND NEVER ACTUALLY APPLY FOR THE JOB!!!! that's kind of silly bro.

rjaeger13

Rookie
Apr 5, 2013
HOW DO YOU THROW DOWN ON A DEGREE AND NEVER ACTUALLY APPLY FOR THE JOB!!!! that's kind of silly bro.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this guy.... 15k in the hole and you don't apply? All those news reports and you don't read up on what's going on?? Sounds like you crawled under a rock, bro.