Strange Question

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Just thinking about potential issues I could encounter if I happen to land a job. I know my friend said there are all types of things you have to sign about how you'll be to work no matter what..natural disasters, terrorist attack, whatever happens you're expected to be there regardless. If there are clauses like that, are there any specific rules or regulations about how far away you can live from your workplace?

Say you get Chicago center...can you live in Indiana or Wisconsin if you choose, or do you have to live within so many miles of your facility?

My wife asked me, and I really had no idea. I know they have certain expectiations of you being there when needed, but wasn't sure beyond that.

photostarr

Aug 30, 2008
I know a guy who lives 30-40 miles away from his center, no problem. Honestly, I don't know how far you would WANT to live away from your job, even if you could live 1000 miles away. I can't imagine the FAA would care, so long as you get to work when you're suppose to be there. I think that the "terrorism/natural disaster clause" is meant for WHILE you're on the job controlling traffic, you will continue to control traffic even if that stuff is going on. I don't think it's meant for your getting to work. Obviously you could call in sick. Consider the fact that controllers have probabaly called in "sick" after a night of heavy drinking (since all controllers are mature and responsible people). So I'm sure if you called in "sick" because there was a terrorist threat on your local dog park, they'd probably let that slide just as easily.

Just something to think about, nothing that I could say for sure.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
there is no such restriction. as long as u show up to work on time everday. u could live on the moon, if u had reliable space shuttle transportation and showed up for all of your shifts.

illogical

Oct 4, 2008
orlando
some state government jobs have this restriction but being a fed job noone can tell you where to live
*edit* im not sure you could live in Canada

Glassjaw

Newcomer
Jul 26, 2008
You could live in the marianas trench as long you have reliable pressurized suits and were able to depressurize on time, when coming to the surface.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
I'm all out of witty responses at the moment...

I lived 94 mi from my last facility and 72 mi from my new one. They don't care, they'll just call you an idiot if it's really far away.

JumperBones

Reft crosed trafficah
Dec 22, 2008
Too sixah reft
I think the point of all this is to point out that you have a vital job, and you can't abandon your position because something's happening.

PoppinJ

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009
You could live on the sun so long as you found a way to transform yourself into a photon of light and leave 8 minutes early every day in order to be to work on time..... Hopefully you don't work at night though...

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
sorry for bringing this one back from the dead but i'm very curious to know about the natural disaster part.
for example a blizzard hits and theres 6 feet of snow obviously if you work at a tower or tracon no one is moving for a while but what if you work at a center? who handles the overflights? do the people who get snowed in stay on the scopes until the others get there a couple hours/days later?

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
Hurricanes don't hit Jax. It's a meteorological phenomenon. The city is surrounded by a Teflon pressure system, they just bounce right off. The last hurricane to hit Jax was back in the 60's or 70's.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
do the people who get snowed in stay on the scopes until the others get there a couple hours/days later?
No personal experience, but there is a girl in my class who has a husband that works at Dulles, and on ocassion they sleep overnight in the tower until a fresh crew can make it into work.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
FAA management doesn't care how far away from work that you live, the key is arriving to work on time. I've known controllers that lived up to two hours away from where the worked and didn't have any issues. But I've known a few that had issues.

shibbyromes

Rookie
Aug 3, 2009
Rhode Island
You could live on the sun so long as you found a way to transform yourself into a photon of light and leave 8 minutes early every day in order to be to work on time..... Hopefully you don't work at night though...
Haha I'm enough of a nerd to laugh at this lol ...sad

AW2992

May 26, 2009
I wish I could transform myself into a photon of light would save me so much time and money. I am getting sick of setting on the ramp waiting for the fuel trucks. I no what you are all going to say just go to the self serve pumps. The last time I did that I think I got more water than 100LL. I thought the price was to go to be true you get what you pay for. I am putting my money on Teleportation then I can finely say beam me up scotty and not sound like a dumb a..

otterstrom

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
of NATCA
sorry for bringing this one back from the dead but i'm very curious to know about the natural disaster part.
for example a blizzard hits and theres 6 feet of snow obviously if you work at a tower or tracon no one is moving for a while but what if you work at a center? who handles the overflights? do the people who get snowed in stay on the scopes until the others get there a couple hours/days later?
yes. until enough of the next crew makes it in, you stay and rack up massive amounts of OT money.