Stripmarking Pens....

ZAUturnbull

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2009
Yorkville, IL
Just started the dsr lab last week and everypen i own sucks for writing on those strips! someone have a link for something that will work? or what have you used that works?

clrd4theoptn

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2008
I use the Bic ReAction 1.0 after numerous attempts at others. A pack of two usually lasts me about six months or so before I finally end up snapping off the clip.

Recently though, I acquired a multi-colored pack of Papermate Profile 1.4B. I really do like the way the pink, purple, and orange dress up my strip-marking.

Just stay away from gel based pens. Personally, I prefer the clicker type to the cap type, as I clip pens between the button on my polo shirts to stop my thieving co-workers from ganking them.

kycontroller

Jun 17, 2008
I just used a red and black sharpie. Worked fine and never got behind. Didn't have to worry about rewriting crap either!

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I've tried a lot of different pens, and the only two that consistently work the best is the Sharpie Fine Point, and the Bic Mark it permanent marker Fine point (which is my favorite).

The trouble with the newer strips is that the oils on your hands gets onto the strips preventing most pens from working. Since several of us switched to the Bic's and Sharpies we don't have this problem.

thatguynamedzach

RADAR is where its AT!
Mar 19, 2009
The Emerald City

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
I used fine point sharpies in OKC. They always worked best. Now we use just some bic fine point black/red pens, and as long as you don't touch the strips in the altitude box/route box all is well.

D

djmodifyd

hmm...i use the pens provided for us to use....

and its only legal to use blue/black on strips...

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
I made some mike debb specials using regular bic fine points. Cut off the ends stick em together, viola. They work up in the ERTS lab (hah! something in the ERTS lab working!) as long as you don't touch the strips. A few people use fine point sharpies taped together, but it gets sorta awkward.

As others said, don't touch the altitude section or remarks section and you're fine. Use your thumbs to slide the strips in by the time section.

enickerson

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
I made some mike debb specials using regular bic fine points. Cut off the ends stick em together, viola. They work up in the ERTS lab (hah! something in the ERTS lab working!) as long as you don't touch the strips. A few people use fine point sharpies taped together, but it gets sorta awkward.

As others said, don't touch the altitude section or remarks section and you're fine. Use your thumbs to slide the strips in by the time section.

Ahhh.. you were lucky enough to have Mike Debb "MD" as an instructor. Lead or just a fill in? Either way, the guy is amazing. Our entire class used his pen idea, those FAA pens didn't work at all.

scott523

Dec 17, 2008
Philadelphia (Upper Darby), PA, USA