Study Groups in Radar

WhiskeyMike0990

Newcomer
Feb 13, 2019
Does the pressure to study in groups subside after non-radar or is it going to be pushed this intensely in radar too? I know this makes me sound like the unsuccessful asshole who doesn't want to do study groups, but I honestly don't enjoy spending time with my class and don't care to spend any more time with them than I have to. I study a lot and can run the scenarios myself so I find it hard to believe that "groups" are the saving grace for passing the academy.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Does the pressure to study in groups subside after non-radar or is it going to be pushed this intensely in radar too? I know this makes me sound like the unsuccessful asshole who doesn't want to do study groups, but I honestly don't enjoy spending time with my class and don't care to spend any more time with them than I have to. I study a lot and can run the scenarios myself so I find it hard to believe that "groups" are the saving grace for passing the academy.
Use whatever method works best for you. Many people rely on study groups. There is nothing wrong with studying on your own.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Also keep in mind that it's in your best interest to have as many people pass as possible to give yourself the highest number of facility selections.
It's good to help your classmates out if they need it, but if it doesn't work for you and is a detriment to your potential success, then you need to study by yourself.

bub89y2k

Rookie
Jan 23, 2014
I never studied with the group, similar situation as you. In the end 8 of 18 passed and I was one of them. In RADAR, it’s not really necessary to study in a group anyway. I would say after non radar evals, study the sops and loas so you know them like the back of your hand. Theyll teach you everything else you need to know.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Study groups are for the weak my man. This is the real world now, you just do what need to do in order to pass and get hired into the FAA. I went to one study group and they spent the whole time teaching a couple people the most basic crap they should have already known. Then basically everybody just drank and we called it a day. As others have said, once you hit radar there isn’t much studying involved and there is plenty of time each day between each run to study. And once you hit the FAA they give you so much time to study that you never need to study at home.

waco1990

Newcomer
Mar 20, 2014
Study groups were nothing but a waste of time. You go as fast and weakest link. Some people just don’t get the basics and slow everything down. Do yourself a favor and study on your own so you can work on what YOU need. This is your career and should do everything you can to succeed.