Study Groups

PoppinJ

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009
I'm wondering how much time you guys spend doing class studies and stuff after you done with the academy for the day. Also, how much time do you guys spend studying by yourself. I'm a CTO holder so I'm not going through basics, but I haven't controlled airplanes in a year. I'm just curious because I wanna make the most of my trip to OK. I'm gonna be away from the family so it'll be like a mini vacation for me. :)

stasi2002

Feb 2, 2009
ZFW
Not much studying at all...if your going through tower training im sure others in your class might need help so you might study just to help them out.

I have a CTO and went through en-route and all the studying i did was in the first week or two and that was only to memorize the map.

Its not very stressful if you have experince so you might have a great time in OKC!!!

PoppinJ

Rookie
Jan 30, 2009
Not much studying at all...if your going through tower training im sure others in your class might need help so you might study just to help them out.

I have a CTO and went through en-route and all the studying i did was in the first week or two and that was only to memorize the map.

Its not very stressful if you have experince so you might have a great time in OKC!!!
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm hoping to have a very full social schedule while I'm up there, plus I want to be able to come home to Texas on many of my weekends. I didn't want to get tied down with several mandatory class study sessions on my off time, especially if I'm already miles ahead of other people due to my experience.

RedBaron

Academy Housing Provider
Apr 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
The number and participation in study groups seems to vary widely from class to class. At Isola Bella some classes seem to start study groups from almost day one and other classes seem to put them off until later in the course. Each class seems to have its unique personality.

Cheers, :cheers:

The RedBaron

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
Our study groups typically went something along the lines of bringing our binders over, opening them, and somebody asking if anyone wants a drink. Some talking leads to, hey how about we just go to the bar. And the binders are closed and we are out for the night. Never really had a study group that actually studied, and never really needed it.

flyerchic0212

Oct 18, 2008
atlanta
Our study groups typically went something along the lines of bringing our binders over, opening them, and somebody asking if anyone wants a drink. Some talking leads to, hey how about we just go to the bar. And the binders are closed and we are out for the night. Never really had a study group that actually studied, and never really needed it.
Our group attempted to study, for about a minute. But basics was so easy...and mostlly pointless... you just need to know your stuff once you get into the actual training. small groups help, big groups are just asking for a social hour.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
total time spent studying in okc = about 50mins...

of those 50minutes 35ish of them were spent discussing where we going to go drinking...

edit: and was throughout itr and rtf 7ish weeks

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
A group of us from our class get together before every block test (we're in basics) and do some studying. We don't exactly need to do it because basics, for the most part is easy. But the 6 of us are just getting in the habit of it for when we enter phase II. In our study group we have a former commercial pilot, someone who holds a couple different ratings while flying, and 4 OTS hires with little aviation exposure. So it helps all of us out and we're making sure people understand the material. Not to mention building that habit for when it gets harder.

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
In non-radar (enroute) we'd have study groups working on crossing restrictions, how to apply rules, etc.

While we were in the radar classroom, we had a couple of study sessions to work on some phraseology. By the time we got to the lab, I don't think there were any official study groups. Most of the studying you do at that point is reviewing your map and LOAs, as well as doing traffic searches with the strips you get from the problems you run every day. As the problems started getting more complex, I probably put in at least half an hour a day going over strips, but that was probably the extent of my study time.

SpinningHat

Mr. Hat
Jun 4, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
If everything comes back to you, your "mandatory" study time as you call it will be limited. You will want to make sure you know your maps and any approach plates you need to know forwards and backwards, and have phraseology and stripmarking down. That'll make life easier by far, and if you do go to a study group, help those who have questions. In the Enroute option, you're only as good as your weakest ghost pilot, because if they're stumbling with prompts and phraseology, they will sink you. Thank goodness there's no students running the Ghost position PV day.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I've been growing hair places that there wasn't hair before. Also, my voice has been changing. What does this all mean?