Study Techniques

Jan 23, 2009
Iowa
(Note to Admin... feel free to move this thread to a different area if needed. This looked like a good spot for it.)

Okay, this question is geared towards all you Developmentals/Trainees and recent CPC's out there, ESPECIALLY Tower guys in a Class "C" environment or a Tower/TRACON environment.

What were some of the specific studying techniques you used for memorizing parts of the .65, your local orders/LOA's etc.?

Did anyone have any problems taking the "book knowledge" and applying it to actual situations that occurred while on position? If so, how did you overcome that barrier?

What did you do about certain scenarios that only came up once in a blue-moon and didn't see them again for awhile?

Lastly, overall what are/were some of the struggles you've encountered with your training and what did you do to overcome those obstacles?

Any and all information would be appreciated, and please feel free to be detailed as possible. Thanks!!!

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Application and repetition are the best methods to learn something in this job. Odd scenarios, use your best judgement, if that doesn't work just remember why it didn't and don't do it again next time.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Applying book knowledge to actual situations isn't that difficult in thoery, the problem is when the pressure is on and lives are in your hands, your mind sometimes "forgets" things. Best thing I used was to work on the phraseology and procedures and are used most when I was driving or showering or whatever. Just talk yourself through situations and what you would say/do.

In regards to things that come up once in a blue moon, just know where to find the information. Don't BS your trainer and say that you are certain of something when you are not. Just tell them, I think it is this but it's been 6 months since I used it, and that you know where to find it to make certain of what you are doing.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
In regards to things that come up once in a blue moon, just know where to find the information. Don't BS your trainer and say that you are certain of something when you are not. Just tell them, I think it is this but it's been 6 months since I used it, and that you know where to find it to make certain of what you are doing.
This is a very informative bit of knowledge. I'd say this is what 99% of trainers want to hear. I've had trainers literally say "I don't expect you to know everything, in fact none of us will ever know everything, but I do expect you to know how to find it" They absolutely know there is no way to know everything there is to know about ATC. It's all about finding the information you need at the time you need it. Guys who've been controllers for 20 years still have situations where they need to look something up, or will discuss it with other controllers in the area before they make a decision.

There are lots of things you can know/learn; there are just as many that you'll have to refresh yourself on when the time comes.

radicrog

Trusted Member
Feb 5, 2009
Vegas
I try to spend a lot of time in the environment I'm in (cab or IFR room). Listen to the Vets work traffic and see how they apply the rules. I always have questions about why they did something. When they're not busy, I'll pick their brain about it. Immersion is a word that comes to mind. As far as studying and retaining information, find out how you recall stuff. I like practice phraseology for coordination, handoffs, pointouts, traffic calls- pretty much anything I do on a regular basis. I consider those the basics/fundamentals. When I've mastered the basics, my decision making and control instructions are much quicker and seamless. Make sure you have a competent controller/trainer listen offline to your phraseology. This method has helped me identify errors or bad habits I've acquired.