Stupid ERAM

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
So ZID is one of the first centers to try to implement the ERAM system...which means I am frozen in my training until OCTOBER!! My training manager informed me yesterday I am officially frozen in my current training until October at a minimum. No D side training for me. I guess its lucky for me I'm still in the Air Natl Guard. I volunteered for a deployment to Iraq. I find out when I leave and for how long this weekend. At least I get to control live traffic for awhile while I wait on ERAM to get implemented so I can start my training again. Damnit....

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
Good luck with your deployment. See if you can't get approved for emergency leave donations. I don't remember what the technical term is but we have had some people that were deployed. They put out a memo and got people to donate leave. At a center, that is a great tool because there are a lot of people. As long as your not a douchebag, people are normally pretty open to it. If half of your facility donates 5 hours each, that can add up to an entire year, paid!!!

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
Oh, by the way, I am so tired of hearing about ERAM. Does anyone even kinow exactly what it is? All I ever get is: "oh...uh...its replacing the host computer...uh.." and I reply with, "see, thats why your a tool...I mean...uh...supervisor.

MUZID

Newcomer
Jul 14, 2008
Thats wierd, 2 guys from area 3 just started radar training on Monday. Doesn't make sense that your training is frozen but theirs isn't.

MUZID

Newcomer
Jul 14, 2008
I am sure they are much less apt to delay an R-side vs. a D-side. Kinda makes since if you think about it!
I guess but at least having a handful of d-sides on the floor instead of them sitting upstairs in the classroom doing nothing for 10 months makes better sense to me. Considering there are already 3 radar trainees in our area right now

sweetshiek

Rookie
Dec 4, 2008
suburbs of Baltimore, MD
So ZID is one of the first centers to try to implement the ERAM system...which means I am frozen in my training until OCTOBER!! My training manager informed me yesterday I am officially frozen in my current training until October at a minimum. No D side training for me. I guess its lucky for me I'm still in the Air Natl Guard. I volunteered for a deployment to Iraq. I find out when I leave and for how long this weekend. At least I get to control live traffic for awhile while I wait on ERAM to get implemented so I can start my training again. Damnit....
Is the ERAM system only for center controllers? Or are Tower controllers effected?

Dale

Jun 19, 2008
Uniondale, Indiana
ERAM will be THE automation system in the ARTCC's. My comments, below, are in red.

From En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM)

"Overview

The En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) system architecture replaces the En Route Host computer system and its backup. ERAM provides all of today?s functionality and:

• Adds new capabilities needed to support the evolution of our National Airspace System (I don't know what these "new capabilities" are.)
  • Improves information security and streamlines traffic flow at our international borders
  • Processes flight radar data (All radar data from long range and terminal radars. This might impact CENRP support to terminal facilities.)
  • Provides communications support
  • Generates display data to air traffic controllers (Your main 20"X20" radar displays.)
    • The display system provides real-time electronic aeronautical information and efficient data management.
  • Provides a fully functional backup system, precluding the need to restrict operations in the event of a primary failure (No more DARC.)
    • The backup system provides the National Transportation Safety Board-recommended safety alerts, altitude warnings and conflict. (Not available from DARC.)
  • Improves surveillance by using a greater number and variety of surveillance sources" (I don't know, maybe commercial radars? Where will the FAA get data from when they start decommisioning the long range radars because NEXTGEN (GPS) (tongue in cheek) makes them obsolete?)

In other words, it does just about everything related to radar automation.

Dale

Jun 19, 2008
Uniondale, Indiana
Is the ERAM system only for center controllers? Or are Tower controllers effected?
Though ERAM is primarily for centers, it might impact how CENRP is initiated, and how it appears on the terminal automation systems (ARTS & STARS). Remember CENRP is an acronym for CENter Radar Processing.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Its just my class (all 2 of us) and the classes coming in behind me are the ones being completely frozen. The ones ahead of us are continuing on as far as I know. We are going to be RPO's while we wait on the CPCs to learn ERAM, then once its implemented we start training. They are saying October, but if it gets delayed more, God I hope we at least get to get some D-sides so I can at least get that first pay raise.

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
its only going in the centers, from what I have heard there are a lot of problems with it. So, don't bank on that 3/4 of the year frozen in training. Once all the problems come up and they have to be fixing things and delaying it at the facility it could take a long time. Make sure you document all the time you were delayed, as it is possible to get back pay for what you potentially could have checked out on while sitting and doing nothing for a year.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
I was told I can't get in until the new fiscal year unless I can get in on a 4/15 or 5/8 class that is full. Someone would have to drop out.

I guess this is why.

This is really pretty terrible. It'll mean nearly two years from application to getting into a basics class.
I really find it hard to believe your wait is due to any "freeze". The fact of the matter is, in many cases more TOLs are given out than spaces available to that facility at the Academy for whatever period of time they have dates published.

All it means is, for example, they gave out 30 TOLs to your facility and they only have let's say 18 slots for Academy in FY09. Obviously they can't get all 30 in this year, so you'll remain in queue for your facility and once they develop their schedule for FY10 and slot spaces for your facility, they'll put you in one when they get to your name on the list, hence the term "your facility is on hold" (Of course there are many cases that they don't go in order if for example you call and ask about a date and they happen to have someone back out of a class and they need to gap fill)

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I was told I can't get in until the new fiscal year unless I can get in on a 4/15 or 5/8 class that is full. Someone would have to drop out.

I guess this is why.

It'll mean nearly two years from application to getting into a basics class.

I guess I'm in one of those classes ColtsATC is mentioning that is completely frozen? Or do you just mean that they're frozen at the facility but are still putting people into OKC?
I was talking about classes for trainees that are already at ZID

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
I asked MMAC if future Academy classes would be training or this or if you have to wait until you get to your facility. Here's the information I got,,, passing along in case it's helpful to anyone.

Currently, En Route students do not get ERAM training in OKC at the FAA Academy. We are currently under a major redesign of the course that will enable us to teach our students on the ERAM equipment. We anticipate a complete transition in the March/April timefram of 2010. The FAA field facilities are scheduled to begin transitioning to ERAM in the next few months, with our last facility being brought on-line at the end 2010.