Switching Facilities While in the Middle of the Hiring Process?

Willijs3

Newcomer
May 9, 2018
I recently received a TOL for an ATSS position. I accepted the offer and my background check is underway. I'm extremely pleased that I have come this far in the process. The position is close to home, but far enough that I have to move because I don't want a 2 hour commute to work. However, an opening at the facility right up the street from me just popped up on USAJobs. I would love to be able to stay where I am living now.

Has anyone ever switched facilities while they are in the middle of the hiring process? What happens if I apply for this new opening, would they rescind the TOL and I would just have to take my chances?

(Extra info: Position 1 (the TOL one) is a RADAR tech. The new opening is a generic posting and doesn't specify a focus.)

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
So just a couple notes:

The TOL is yours until you say "Nope". You run the risk that if you decline your current offer, you may not get selected for the other. The ol' "a bird I the hand" saying...

The agency does have a reassignment program. ERR (Employee Request for Reassignment). The catch: There has to be a spot where you want to go, has to be same series/payband and both gaining and loss Managers have to approve the request.

Scotter

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
Like Scotter said. You were offered a TOL for a certain location. You could apply for the other position and decline your TOL and hope you get referred for the other location but that is a gamble.

Willijs3

Newcomer
May 9, 2018
I'm probably better off not getting greedy. Gambling my future isn't something I want to do at the moment.

BigHorse

Feb 27, 2013
Ask the HR rep that you're dealing with, I've seen it happen. Also, try to contact the FLM at the facility close to you that you want to go to.
Good Luck

Flightcheck86

Newcomer
Nov 5, 2017
My input. Be very open and straightforward. Maybe they had a god second best guy where you’re going. Maybe the other place has more vacancys and could really use the extra body sooner or Vice versa. Sooner than later and honest is the way I’d proceed.