Taken the ATSAT in 2014!!!

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
Hey just wanted to start a thread for people that have taken the ATSAT in 2014 and wanted to share their experience, any study tips, hotels to stay in, etc.. Anything that you want to share that deals with the ATSAT please share.

Josh

Jan 3, 2011
I would just advise anyone posting here to be careful not to say anything that might cause the FAA to put an "X" on your profile...

Gmonie

Feb 28, 2014
California
I would just advise anyone posting here to be careful not to say anything that might cause the FAA to put an "X" on your profile...

Exactly. Post whatever you want just as long as it is nothing that is specific to the actual test.

spider_cow

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2014
I just took the test yesterday and I don't see why people stress out about it. I did not study and the first time I even heard about this website was at the test. I'm not really sure how studying would help anyways. The test seems to be more about decision making and intelligence over knowledge. I felt like I did pretty good on most of it and OK on the math section. If I can do it, anyone can. I don't have any experience with airplanes and my current job is a delivery driver. I only applied because my wife told me about it being on the news. Just relax and have fun with it. Its more like a game than a test anyways.

spider_cow

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2014
Come to think of it, my online gaming experience was the one thing that really helped me on this test more than anything.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Come to think of it, my online gaming experience was the one thing that really helped me on this test more than anything.
Have you gotten your score yet? Might want to wait and see what you got first.

spider_cow

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2014
I get my results in about a week. If I pass, cool. If not, that's fine too. The instructors said congratulations as I was leaving. Not sure if that means anything, I finished relatively early so I could beat traffic so for all I know they told everyone that. I am not even sure I want the job anyways. After seeing some of the people waiting for years and studying and such....I feel like everyone would hate me if I got hired. It also looks like the advertised salaries are nothing more than a recruiting tool. I'm not sure that the possible pay increase is worth the possible strain its going to put on my wife and kids due to the crazy hours.

FlyAway26

Mar 20, 2014
It means congratulations for finishing the test...

Not to try and be a life coach here but ATC is a job you really need to be passionate about and you sound the least passionate about it. It can be very stressful and you'll work odd and varied hours. If you're not passionate enough to overlook that and/or have other priorities, then perhaps it is not the job for you.

I'm also an OTS candidate and I'm not the least bit worried about what people will think of me because of how I was hired. I'm confident that, if given the opportunity, that how I perform on the job will speak more to how I get treated. If I suck, people will treat me as if I suck. If I do a fine job, people will treat me as such.

As for salary, what exactly are you expecting? It lists exactly what the base pay is (plus locality). How exactly is it a recruiting tool? The base salary is nothing to brag about.

Reactions: h4xit

spider_cow

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2014
I heard average pay was 6 figures. I didn't realize the pay could vary so much and start low until last night when I checked out this website. And regarding whether or not I would want to do this....I see this job as a complete lifestyle change and I want to be sure its what I want to do before I waste any ones time. To be honest, when I applied, I didn't think I would hear back from them and I didn't really look into it.

pa18150

Feb 5, 2014
Houston
Great response FlyAway26. Hopefully people who aren't as passionate step aside so that the applicant pool is full of people who actually plan to stick around. I am OTS myself with no ATC experience, but some in aviation. I would say aviation is a passion of mine and I will put everything I can into making this a career.

As stated in other posts regarding the academy (should one make it to that point), being OTS, CTI, or prior military doesn't matter. It's the attitude toward the work and wanting to be there, and to move onto the next step. Being unsure definitely won't cut it.

Average pay may be 6 figures, but that's because it's a desireable job in which people stick around for years and earn more. If you look into training time-frames in the Controller Workforce Plans, controllers became fully certified at Level 10-12 facilities in 2.75 years and centers in 2.94 years on average. Meaning you can actually make the jump toward $100k quickly compared to some other professions.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
I heard average pay was 6 figures. I didn't realize the pay could vary so much and start low until last night when I checked out this website. And regarding whether or not I would want to do this....I see this job as a complete lifestyle change and I want to be sure its what I want to do before I waste any ones time. To be honest, when I applied, I didn't think I would hear back from them and I didn't really look into it.
hot damn, HONESTY!

people saying youre not passionate or unworthy or whatever, screw em. you applied the way I told all my friends to apply, "apply and if you get a call great, if not carry on with your life."

lorijoanna

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2013
Do you mind giving your impressions on how it was and any tips for those taking it soon as well?
I ran through the study guide and practice disk a few times and that helped to prepare me and get me in the right mindset. Anyones best bet is to just play video games to practice scanning and multi-tasking. I thought the test was pretty straight forward, they give you detailed instructions, a guide on what is being graded and examples to follow, just be sure you understand the instructions before you begin the test.

kemikal12

Feb 27, 2014
don't forget that all you are seeing is "base salary". Holiday pay, night differential, sunday differential, controller incentive pay, ojti pay, controller in charge pay and locality.... can turn a 70k base salary into 90k. There is no reason, other than lack of ability, that you shouldn't hit six figures on your second facility if you don't get it at your first.

This shouldn't be a motivator. Its bad enough that OTS applicants like myself are getting a chance to compete for this job, but if you have no drive to become an ATCer for what it is, you shouldn't apply at all. Disrespectful to all the people who were skipped on this bid in my opinion.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
This shouldn't be a motivator. Its bad enough that OTS applicants like myself are getting a chance to compete for this job, but if you have no drive to become an ATCer for what it is, you shouldn't apply at all. Disrespectful to all the people who were skipped on this bid in my opinion.
Come off the high horse. The people who actually are in the job because they LOVE all things aviation is more than outnumbered by those that did it purely for the money.

I mean hell. Damn near six figures and If youre good at it feels like you never break a sweat? Tell people that and we'd have had way more apply than the 40k. And realizng that much money is on the line, everyone cares when you wave a paycheck in their face.

So this notion of "I love aviation I should be hired over the film school major whos a bartender and never been on a plane" so I should get picked over him is crap.

Last edited:

Beech

Newcomer
Apr 14, 2014
Money and location are non-motivators only if you live with your parents and have no job.