Taken the ATSAT in 2014!!!

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Haha thank you for the light chuckle of a very mundane afternoon at work.

FlyAway26

Mar 20, 2014
That escalated quickly. Thanks, Tom Clancy.
[HR][/HR]
Aww man, the comedy post was removed. It was gold! :)

Anyway, good luck to everyone taking the AT-SAT. My date is this Friday. I'm certainly anxious, nervous, and excited!

kemikal12

Feb 27, 2014
Lol if you do it for the money, cool! Maybe I'm just ignorant to the in's and out's of atc; I'm here for information anyways. All I know is that I appreciate the opportunity, but I def. feel like others should be ahead of me regardless of no one being guarenteed a spot. Im done, judge me, IDC.

codymezo

Newcomer
Feb 28, 2014
Quick question, during the math section, is it all mental scratch pad math or can we bring calculators or are we provided them? I'm using the atcprep.com site and I'm not sure if I should practice with or without a calculator but some of the problems seem pretty difficult to not have a calculator to solve. Thanks.

pa18150

Feb 5, 2014
Houston
Quick question, during the math section, is it all mental scratch pad math or can we bring calculators or are we provided them? I'm using the atcprep.com site and I'm not sure if I should practice with or without a calculator but some of the problems seem pretty difficult to not have a calculator to solve. Thanks.
It says so in the email about scheduling the test...

To answer your question: no calculators or pencil & paper. Only mental ability.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
This may seem like a really dumb question but is lunch provided during the lunch break or do I need to pack my own?

FlyAway26

Mar 20, 2014
Pack/buy your own. If you happen to be taking it in Fullerton, CA, there are plenty of places around the hotel (including the hotel's restaurant) to eat at. Habit burger right across the street is a nice choice.

phillig1

Newcomer
Sep 6, 2012
Used atcprep and stuckmic study guide and found the test pretty easy. Finished in 4.5 hours. Letter factory was the longest and most mentally draining task

snakedoctor

Rookie
Jun 15, 2008
Ho Chi Minh City
It's spelled guaranteed. And you don't have to take the job if offered. Please don't. Although I am suspecting that you have a cti degree and will be jumping at the opportunity if you ever get it.

Anyone that tells you that they would do this for free never controlled under the imposed work rules. At the end of the day, you still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.Its a job.
What were these "imposed work rules" that caused you such hardship in performing the duties of an Air Traffic Controller? Did these rules impair your ability to provide a safe, orderly, & expeditious flow of air traffic?

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
It means congratulations for finishing the test...

Not to try and be a life coach here but ATC is a job you really need to be passionate about and you sound the least passionate about it. It can be very stressful and you'll work odd and varied hours. If you're not passionate enough to overlook that and/or have other priorities, then perhaps it is not the job for you.

I'm also an OTS candidate and I'm not the least bit worried about what people will think of me because of how I was hired. I'm confident that, if given the opportunity, that how I perform on the job will speak more to how I get treated. If I suck, people will treat me as if I suck. If I do a fine job, people will treat me as such.

As for salary, what exactly are you expecting? It lists exactly what the base pay is (plus locality). How exactly is it a recruiting tool? The base salary is nothing to brag about.

I took the AT-SAT on April 18 and I was told the same thing about getting results in a week or so. I called FAA HR today and was informed that the results will not be released until all AT-SAT testing is completed which will be after June 5. I have been trying for 4 years to get into the FAA as ATC. I have my fingers crossed for this round of hiring because I turn 31 in 16 months and ATC is what I really want to do for a career. I have worked my butt off and done everything I could to get this far to get any opportunity the FAA gives me, if any. My wife is ready and willing, as well as I, to work the odd and various hours and shifts and deal with the stresses. Any one of you who do not have the passion for this and applying any way, I feel bad for you. I'm hoping to get hired this time around and make me dream a reality.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Don't try and guess your score man you'll drive yourself nuts.

buckeye10

Trusted Member
Nov 27, 2008
However, with the questionaire no longer a part of it, who knows how much weight each section will carry.

Saidtehbear

Jan 27, 2010
I took my test this past thursday near FLL. 2nd time taking it so I felt great compared to my first.

My tips for those who are still waiting, practice your math calculations in your head, ALOT. The Angles and Dials are pretty easy. For those who play video games, the Scan and AT Scenario should be cake walk, if not practice from the sources here on SM. Its all about preplanning and always scanning the screen.
If youre having trouble with Analogies, you MUST read the directions carefully and pay close attention to what they want you to pick correctly. I was more worried about this section until the sample problems came up and it clicked in my head.
The Letter Factory will take the most beating out of you because it requires constant focus. Do yourself a favor and take that break before that portion.

ClaudPod

Newcomer
Nov 13, 2013
I took the ATSAT 5/1/14. They told us that we could receive our results as late as the end of the month. When did you take it & have you received your score yet?