Taken the ATSAT in 2014!!!

gablephillip

Trusted Member
Oct 18, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Took the AT-SAT today in Atlanta for the 2nd time.

The questions on the Letter Factory were the most difficult to me. They ask about minor details that NEED paying attention to. Other than that, I only had a couple errors on the Scenarios (cut the corner too close on the approach/thought I had enough time to slow down the aircraft before hitting the airport/simple mistakes) and overall effeciencies as high as 99.51.

Should be another repeat 100! Only time will tell...

hypersyther

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2014
Just took the At-Sat!

Please note that I won't drone into the finer details but can give some pointer on how to better prepare yourself.

1) Dial- Very very very easy! The answer is virtually given to you so there's no need to gun every answer you think is correct. I took my time and cross reference my answer with the other possible answers. Moral of the story, there's no need to over study for this section. StuckMick Study guide is all you need for this.

2) Math - I felt stuckmic math section made a huge difference when studying for the test. The way stuckmic worded their problem were extremely similar on how the actual test displayed. Be ware, the actual test wouldn't be as hard as StuckMic but can be tricky on how they worded their problem. Example, True Air speed vs. Ground Speed. (True air gets calculated with tailwind/headwind) (Ground speed has those calculation done already even if they decided to throw in the words "with head/tailwind"). Practice your mental math and follow the instruction very carefully.
My final advise for this section... get plenty of sleep before hand. Your mind works a million time better if you can get at least 7-8 hrs sleep.

3) Angles- extremely easy. Use the StuckMic Study guide and you'll be fine. For additional practice, atcprep.com program was well worth the 29.90. Set their angles practice on medium mode and you'll breeze through the angle test.

4) Scan - Jeremy Justice did a great job in helping me with this portion. learn to use the 10 key without having to look. Be aware that the actual test has a time limit per contact on the screen. Personal advise, have a good distance between yourself and your computer screen. Sitting too close limits your scope and that's just no beuno! Between Jeremy Justice and ATCprep programs, the ATCprep was right on the money but the Jeremy Justice was just as good (but WAY EASIER).

5) Letter factory - the question were more simple and gets rotates often during the test. the Game itself breaks and ends (randomly) into multiple section and with it comes with four back to back questions. My advise, scan for duplicates asap and get used to planning ahead. This also goes with using the "Quality control" button asap and "ordering new boxes" as soon as you have ONE color left in the supply zone. I typically press the order button as soon as i used the second to last color. ATCprep program did a great job in preparing me for this portion; the only draw back that i felt was that ATCprep went a little too harsh with their questioning. My advise, practice the letter factory until it feels like an easy game to ya. The easier this game becomes, the better your awareness skills becomes. Also, don't beat yourself over too much with the ATCprep random questions.

5)Sim/Scenarios - Practice practice practice from Jeremy Justice. Learn not to fly over towers and be super organized. A lot of reading suggest that the scenarios was very easy and a breeze. Had they used the old method and shoots 5-7 planes at ya, then sure - I would of just sat there, picked my nosed and command with ease. However, this section was by far pretty harshed and merciless! they will throw about 13+ planes at ya. Many in which needs to be land while few other needs to travel through the mess for their exit. Planes ARE ALLOW without penalty (I think) to fly across each other just as long they're on a two different level. Remember this 101 skills. Exit plane is level 4 no matter what. Landing planes is 1. Since one command can only be given PER CLICK on the plane, it's highly advise that you plan ahead and level your planes accordingly. My advise, pretend Jeremy Justice only allows you to give one command per click and practice popping your mouse back and forth while giving commands. This will definitely be more of tax mentally since Jeremy Justice plane moves every second (as oppose ~7 seconds on the test.) Master the Jeremy Justice with this handicap rule I made and you'll be Master Yoda in no time.

6) Analogies - There's really no way to prepare for this as even the green book and ATCprep program were over doing it. In other words, the test itself were using shorter words and many prep I went through teaches at the level of AP/ SAT exams. Just Calm your roll down and look at the first box for your relation. You'll recongnize 70-80 percent of the words without studying.
My advise, follow this stradegy. Are the words Similar or opposite to each other? NO? Does it Rhyme to each other? no? Does the two words have many similar letters to each other?
Lastly, the picture were a bit difficult but doable. Use the ATCprep custome setting for the picture analogy and note the rotation of color and pattern. Do note that the ATCprep is more of mericful god then the actual test, so do brace.

Sul3iman

Newcomer
May 20, 2014
1. Dials -- Stuck Mic (PDF) or ATC Prep

2. Math -- Green Book AND ATC Prep

3. Angles -- Stuck Mic (PDF) or ATC Prep

4. Scan -- ATC Prep (Custom settings: Frequency: 10, Speed: Fast)

5. Letter Factory -- ATC Prep (Custom settings: Duration: 5, Speed: Medium, Frequency: Very High, Sit ? Frequency: Very High, Difficulty: Medium). Keep in mind, the Sit ?s on ATC Prep will differ from the AT-SAT. However, the ?s Rosstafari included in his analysis were spot-on.

6. Scenarios -- ATC Prep (Custom settings: Avg #: 6).

7. Analogies -- Difficult to sufficiently prepare for. I found ATC Prep the most helpful.

Saidtehbear

Jan 27, 2010
@35 errors.
you tried your best... but seems like you didnt follow the rules of the game so unfortunately you had that many errors.
best of luck

toodarnedold

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2013

At least now we can be pretty sure that a high number of procedural errors is not a rule out for a passing score. This interests me, because with a ~95% pass rate it appears the AT-SAT is more to filter out completely unsuitable candidates. I would have assumed that they'd do this by setting minimum scores (or maximum errors) for each section.

I don't know why I care how the AT-SAT is put together and scored... I just really have a hard time understanding what value they can possibly derive from a test that almost everyone passes - especially because out of those passing scores, the score itself doesn't appear to correlate consistently with successful certification.

FoxtrotMike

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2013
I honestly believe that the letter factory and scenarios are weighted the least because I felt extremely confident about the rest of my sections. Like I said, my errors were not safety errors-they were simply a result of planes landing too fast when I would set them on final and forget about them. With the amount of people who walk out of the test feeling as if they didn't do well and end up acing it, I'm pretty convinced it's human graded by someone looking at raw data. I'm sure they would rather see 35 planes landing too fast than 35 planes crashed and not making it to their destinations.

FoxtrotMike

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2013
Just speculation. I know that you don't know anymore than me because no one does. That I am serious about.

MR.Maverick

Rookie
Jun 1, 2014
North Carolina
What does it actually mean to be "referred"?? I took the test on may 6th in Atlanta and just heard back yesterday that I was referred. I was generally surprised that I was.

buckeye10

Trusted Member
Nov 27, 2008
What does it actually mean to be "referred"?? I took the test on may 6th in Atlanta and just heard back yesterday that I was referred. I was generally surprised that I was.
It means you passed the atsat and made the referral list to be hired. The selection committee, panel or whatever they have now will make their selections from that list.