Teaching on the side

dx10

Jul 31, 2009
Anybody know the FAA's take on instructing part time as a controller?

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I've heard of a few guys taking on some light side work to help with the starting income. Seems ideal to me, if you can just do a few hours a week.

Pants81

Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
There is a teacher at my school who has been teaching for a few years and he has been a controller for like 20 something years....He is an awesome source of aviation information.

dx10

Jul 31, 2009
I wouldn't need to instruct for the income, and I would certainly wait until after I'm checked out...just would like to stay somewhat active as an instructor, flying planes and teaching.

I was mainly asking if the FAA frowns upon the practice...

irishcarbomb

Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
as long as it doesnt cause a "conflict of interest" is what i was told when i toured...

like if you work in the tower at the airport you instruct at...and try to get special treatment or treat your school special when you are in the tower

the tower manager at IAH told me a story of a guy that would call in sick to instruct (wtf i cant think of any reason to do that) and one day they heard him on the radio doing an approach into IAH...he was counting on not having to ever talk on the radio but his student made a mistake or something

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
instruct at a college? or instruct as a CFI?

i don't see why it's really any of the FAA's business. i've heard the FAA frowns upon being a CFI at an airport that you work in the tower for. conflict of interest or something. i've never seen that in writing though.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
like if you work in the tower at the airport you instruct at...and try to get special treatment or treat your school special when you are in the tower
Heh. "Cleveland Tower, Skyhawk 967CT, this is Rod... hows about we move up to the front of the line here?"

SnowAviation

Jan 29, 2009
Southern California TRACON
Irishcarbomb is spot on, if you instruct at a airport where you are a
controller and someone finds out and reports you to your regional
office, expect a letter from the FAA General Counsel advising you
to cease and desist. They will almost always warn you once before
taking any action.

It's less of a problem when you work in the Center or a TRACON.

I got a Cease and Desist letter over a website SoCalTRACON.com,
the letter from the General Counsel office was polite but firm, "stop
now or face further punitive and/or legal action."

It's not worth the money you'd spend in legal fees fighting it. Find
a nearby airport and instruct there, no one will bother you then.

Oh and calling in sick to instruct, yeah that's a big "WTF - Over".