Tech Ops Questions

cweide

Newcomer
Nov 14, 2018
Wichita
I washed out of the ATC training program earlier this month. It's not the worst thing in the world- I figured I wasn't cut out for that line of work about half way through the training. Regardless, I was told about tech ops and how I might want to look in to it. It looks like a job I would enjoy doing, but I have a few questions that I couldn't immediately find answers to and I would appreciate it if you would take some time to help me out here.

How long does the training last?
How quickly can I expect a class date?
Are there statistics on a washout rate?
Can I choose where I live? I realize the job requires a lot a travel but will I be able to live close to home while I am working?
What salary can I expect after training?
How many hours can I expect to work in a week?

For reference, I am 28 and my last career was teaching high school physics and aerospace engineering classes.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
I washed out of the ATC training program earlier this month. It's not the worst thing in the world- I figured I wasn't cut out for that line of work about half way through the training. Regardless, I was told about tech ops and how I might want to look in to it. It looks like a job I would enjoy doing, but I have a few questions that I couldn't immediately find answers to and I would appreciate it if you would take some time to help me out here.

How long does the training last?
How quickly can I expect a class date?
Are there statistics on a washout rate?
Can I choose where I live? I realize the job requires a lot a travel but will I be able to live close to home while I am working?
What salary can I expect after training?
How many hours can I expect to work in a week?

For reference, I am 28 and my last career was teaching high school physics and aerospace engineering classes.
To be quite honest, most techops (as in technicians working on the equipment) hires come from those that have practical electronics experience, and most of those are prior military. The "training" wrt technicians is really just specialty system training, and techops "wash outs" are rare because we kinda have to justify our experience prior to hire.. We also bid on the location that has the posting.

If you have an engineering degree, you're best bet is to bid on engineer positions that pop up from time to time.

Here is one right now: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/550239600

Scotter

Reactions: BigHorse

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
A career in Tech Ops is not a consolation prize for washed out controllers.

True “off the street” hires rarely, if ever, occur.

Like Scotter said, most 2101s come to the job with years of experience in technical fields. Salaries, duty locations and hours vary widely based on duty location and disciplines. There are quite a few threads in here with that info.

Good luck.

DragonSeabee

Newcomer
May 2, 2018
True “off the street” hires rarely, if ever, occur.
I agree with SMS, it's a very dehumanizing process of getting hired.

Did FAA promote tech ops to your class? Like having a pretty blond tech ops lady, coming into the lab, to fix a key pad that wasn't working?
Anyway, I've a feeling you might get lucky, since you created this thread on the same day, FAA updated their website for ATSS (https://www.faa.gov/jobs/career_fields/aviation_careers/atss_join/), looking to hire entry-level ATSS nationwide.

Salary could be found here (https://www.faa.gov/jobs/working_here/benefits/media/core_salary_with_conversion.xlsx), search for row "2101 (Trans. Spec)".

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
Keep in mind “entry level” for ATSS hiring does not mean the same thing that it does for ATC hiring...