Terminal vs En Route

rhlohr

Rookie
Sep 21, 2008
PA
I am going to a treminal facility. I'm OTS and have no idea what the difference between the two are. Everyone is talking about En Route. Could this be the reason I don't have my OKC date yet?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
It could be. They hire in spurts. They're probably on an En Route spurt right now. It'll be terminals turn in no time. The new year is just a few weeks away, so expect hiring for all three types of facilities very soon.

En Route is a big radar facility that controls airplanes outside of ~50miles from a big airport.
Approach Control (terminal) is a radar facility that controls planes immediately adjacent to a big airport. They control initial departures and set the arrival sequence.
Tower (terminal) is the guys sitting in the tall building watching the airport environment. They separate the aircraft as they takeoff and land, and also while taxiing on the airport.

Tye

Rookie
Nov 14, 2008
there's actually 20 enroute facilities in the continental U.S. Then you've got Anchorage and Honolulu. Which bring you to 22. You can also count Guam and Puerto Rico has a CERAP.

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008
there's actually 20 enroute facilities in the continental U.S. Then you've got Anchorage and Honolulu. Which bring you to 22. You can also count Guam and Puerto Rico has a CERAP.
ah forgot Honolulu...knew i was missing one somewhere in my count

Deadeye

Rookie
Dec 10, 2008
hey guys. What are the odds of getting tower if you choose "Terminal"? Do they ask if you want to be tower or tracon or do they just place you where they need people?