Terminated Training, No Specific Reason: Possible Retaliation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
Delete

I'm asking that this thread be deleted as it has gotten off topic and nothing productive will come of it.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
Stuff like this happens at slower facilities with little traffic. I have been through three facilities and to be honest it was the slowest facility where this crap happened.

It's very important that you document everything and even fill in the employee comments sections of your -25s.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I hope there's something NATCA can do for you, but you should already know that the nail that sticks up gets hammered down in this agency, especially when that nail is a trainee.

typhoon5150

Oct 8, 2012
Can someone give me an english breakdown of what NOT to do when i'm in training. I don't understand all the terms.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Well I can speak from an Enroute perspective where there are hundreds of CPCs. Here what I did and I continue to do, and its worked out for me.

Keep a very low profile. The fewer managers/supervisors that know you the better. I basically only talked to the supervisors who worked with my crew. What ever the supervisor on your crew thinks is a good idea during your training team meetings are generally what you should do.

During training you don't have to be perfect. You should come to training with a good knowledge of maps/procedures/LOAs, but you can't know anything. Don't make the same mistake twice. Be honest. If they say "where is XYZ airport?", just say you don't know and then take the 5 seconds to look it up.

IMO, don't write any comments on your grading form. I would write them down separately if needed. I've only known of 2-3 dudes who started to write down comments on their form and they are no longer with us. Have an open dialogue during debriefings and team meetings, so that you know where you stand and something like the OP's first post doesn't happen to you.

We just recently had a guy who was in OP's position. Didn't have any grievous errors on their checkride but didn't get certified. Only got the checkride because he was at the end of their hours, but never got a recommendation from the trainers either because they were struggling. Was also at the end of extended hours. We to a training review board and got an easier crew with a much easier Supervisor and is now checked out.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
I will speak on the tower side...

Generally, my advice is to keep a low profile and a positive attitude whenever you come into a new facility. Most controllers respect someone who has a lunch pale attitude. Come to work, be professional and stay out of all the side BS. At slower facilities there tends to be soap opera drama that turns people on each other.... because often there is more chatter than work. Best advice, just keep your mouth shut, don't gossip and work hard towards certification. Don't be the guy that is burning leave all the time. Be that guy after you certify.

Now, with that said. When you come into a facility as a CPC-IT... it's a different ballgame. Still be the professional and stay clear of the BS. But don't let controllers run you over with the " you are a trainee attitude" that they give the guys out of the academy.... because if you show weakness... they sense it and you fall into the trap. Smash that right away.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Basically just keep your mouth shut and your head in the books. Monitor the positions you are training on while you aren't training. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Nothing good comes from writing in the employee comments section on your -25's. There's a reason why that box is so small.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
Nothing good comes from writing in the employee comments section on your -25's. There's a reason why that box is so small.
Generally speaking... if you disagree with a trainer and it's a one time deal.. keep your yap shut and move on.
However, If you have a legitimate gripe use the comments section and if you need to attach a separate piece of paper, do it. This is your training. Just be prepared to die on that hill or ask for a new trainer.

I have used the box to annotate tape times because my trainer and I disagreed how things went down. Of course, I have previously certified at more than one spot and have bigger balls than most.

Reactions: phillyman2633

CX64

Newcomer
Jan 5, 2013
What are your trainers telling you? What do your other training reports say? Is it just this one sup that has a problem with you?

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
Agreed. Only thing that should go there is 'my trainer deserves a time off award'

i've ve never seen anyone who wasn't struggling write in that box. Your results may vary.

Well you aren't necessarily going to write in that box if your doing awesome.
Haha, Maybe at my next facility I am going to write "awesome job" in that box after every good session.

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com
You sound like trouble
There seems to be a lot behind the scenes you haven't or aren't divulging....

How many total hours did you spend training on the position?

did you time and time again get extensions or have your hours reset?

We're you passed by multiple people who certified before you?

If this isn't you your first rodeo, are you saying the training process has been unfair to you before?

All of these are generally red flags.

Then again I don't know your situation, but I've heard this argument before And the devil is in the details.

It's the ones that have to argue every training session and constantly defend their performance, that don't belong in the job. Sometimes we have to take a good hard look at ourselves first.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.