Terminated Training, No Specific Reason: Possible Retaliation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
There seems to be a lot behind the scenes you haven't or aren't divulging....

How many total hours did you spend training on the position?

did you time and time again get extensions or have your hours reset?

We're you passed by multiple people who certified before you?

If this isn't you your first rodeo, are you saying the training process has been unfair to you before?

All of these are generally red flags.

Then again I don't know your situation, but I've heard this argument before And the devil is in the details.

It's the ones that have to argue every training session and constantly defend their performance, that don't belong in the job. Sometimes we have to take a good hard look at ourselves first.

good luck.

And sometimes we work with assholes that love to find a target and get off on washing them out.

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I can chime in and say that you normally do not get a rep during a performance record of conversation. That being said, how many have you had? Per the EXACT manual that these come from, you shall not manage training or performance from a snapshot of one specific incident. They are apparently not disciplinary, however, most supervisors will allow a rep in the room if they have a good working relationship with the sup.

They are used to gather trends (i.e. you constantly not having separation on an arrival, or not seeing speeds).

My OJTi disagreed from time to time, but he was a big emough man to admit when he was wrong and I showed him my sources. Everyone is wrong from time to time and people make mistakes.

Usm4r1n3

Trusted Member
Sep 26, 2013
Obviously way more to the story, But I still don't feel that I was dangerous and unable to run the position. But I do know I worked different than many of the people at the facility and it rubbed a few of the people the wrong way because of it.
I'd say your approach is wrong. You always stick with proper procedures and what the OJTI says. The people at your facility have been doing what works for their location for years. There are reasons why they didn't like your unorthodox methods. I would have taken the word of OJTI's as gospel unless I was going from NY tracon to a slow facility that has 2 airports. It's about being humble. Showing something new to them shouldn't happen because in their facility they have seen the pros and cons of different controlling methods. I hate to say it but it's not about how you feel, It's about how you adapt.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Move on to the NEST. You are done here. Make sure that anybody willing to speak for you will write a letter on your behalf to include in your package. On your way out, talk to your trainers and ask for their honest opinions about why you didn't certify. Shut up, listen and internalize whatever they say for the future. You've been argumentative the whole way, and I doubt it worked to your benefit with 300 hours of training.

Also, if you're going to piss on the shoes of facility management with an ATSAP, it's stupid to do it when you still need a supervisor's signature on your certification. If you need to refer to a procedure or facility directive when you ATSAP a deal, fine, but otherwise keep your great thoughts to yourself.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
This post has gotten off topic and nothing productive is coming of it. Thank you for the advice everone has given. Going to ask to have it deleted

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
I'd say your approach is wrong. You always stick with proper procedures and what the OJTI says. The people at your facility have been doing what works for their location for years. There are reasons why they didn't like your unorthodox methods. I would have taken the word of OJTI's as gospel unless I was going from NY tracon to a slow facility that has 2 airports. It's about being humble. Showing something new to them shouldn't happen because in their facility they have seen the pros and cons of different controlling methods. I hate to say it but it's not about how you feel, It's about how you adapt.
If I ever transfer somewhere else, lower level facility or not, the first thing that I would make sure to do is to stay humble, and listen to the people that have been working there, as they know their facilty and operations way better than I do.

Usm4r1n3

Trusted Member
Sep 26, 2013
If I ever transfer somewhere else, lower level facility or not, the first thing that I would make sure to do is to stay humble, and listen to the people that have been working there, as they know their facilty and operations way better than I do.

I agree. Just thinking of an extreme that may be acceptable

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
Apparently he didn't get the answer he wanted to hear... So he took his ball and left.
Of course, you didn't tel me what I wanted nor offered "constructive criticism" lol. Hopefully he learns to just shut up instead of fighting everyone on everything.

SnoopDog

Jun 11, 2012
Of course, you didn't tel me what I wanted nor offered "constructive criticism" lol. Hopefully he learns to just shut up instead of fighting everyone on everything.

I don't know this guy from Jack. But sometimes, a fight is whats needed. I have seen some very shady things done. Things where i thought, I wouldn't let them do that to me.

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
In fact, if you get bored, why don't you just hijack an ice cream truck and drive it through our brand new pathology lab? But do me a favor and spare the paper shredder, because I'll need that to turn your next twelve paychecks into a clown wig you can wear for the rest of your internship!

Status
Not open for further replies.