Test Questions and whatnot

clooney

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2009
So, I have seen many other posts on these forums talking about test questions.....but I'd thought I'd create one for our pubnat seeing that most of us have test dates soon.

Idk about you all but I've been studying the stuckmic questions and reviewing the Applied math mostly. 30 questions and 30 mins to answer them without calculator or a pencil/ paper... Specially when they aren't divisible exactly and they have remainders...
But it is true we can't even use a pencil/ paper correct??
And if we dont have enough time, I thought I read somewhere that you might be able to go back to a section??

Anyway, I'd like to see others post some questions and whatnot here seeing that most of us should be in "study" mode.

NiaX

Trusted Contributor
Sep 28, 2009
Derby City
i'd like to know the answer to that as well. I was only able to finish the questions in the time frame b/c I wrote on the test paper itself.

aprolla23

Dec 13, 2008
Raleigh, NC
No paper and pencil can be used. I'm not sure what test paper Nia's referring to, but when I tested in Norfolk it was made clear that none was allowed. Also, you cannot go back to a section, you can however go back and answer questions within a section if time permits. The math, in my opinion, wasn't overly difficult. Plus with it being multiple choice questions, wrong answer elimination was key for me.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
no pencil, paper, or calculator. you can use fingers/toes if you need to though.

there are no weird math questions with remainders or such. everything works out in either hours, mins, quarters, thirds...i reccomend brushing up on fractions and remember that .1 of an hour is 6mins, .3 is 18mins, and so on. or 1/4 an hour is 15mins.

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
To follow on, get used to rounding, estimating and ruling out answers that just don't intuitively make sense. Going 210 miles in 33 minutes is a lot like going 200 miles in 30 minutes, or roughly 400 knots. If the answers the give you are 150kts, 320kts, 380kts and 600kts, it's easy to figure out which one is the right answer. No need to figure out that 33 mins = .55hr and do the math on 210/.55.

Look for ways you can simplify the problems, and remember that you're only doing distance/time/speed calculations. If you find yourself counting off bizarre fractions, you're approaching the problem the wrong way and there is a simpler, faster way to do it.

pltjess

Jul 9, 2009
Olathe, KS
I've studied both the pdf file here on stuckmic, and a book I found at Border's. (I believe it was the asa book) On the math sections, the stuckmic one was MUCH easier than the ones in the book. The book had answers that were incredibly close together, and the math required dividing with insane decimals, etc.. So, does anyone know for certain which one was closer to the actual test?

ccollins

Apr 17, 2009
Look for ways you can simplify the problems, and remember that you're only doing distance/time/speed calculations. If you find yourself counting off bizarre fractions, you're approaching the problem the wrong way and there is a simpler, faster way to do it.
You said it. The actual test is much easier than the study guide.

Oh, and no pen and paper. The questions are so easy you should be able to look at them and answer them within 30 seconds.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
I've studied both the pdf file here on stuckmic, and a book I found at Border's. (I believe it was the asa book) On the math sections, the stuckmic one was MUCH easier than the ones in the book. The book had answers that were incredibly close together, and the math required dividing with insane decimals, etc.. So, does anyone know for certain which one was closer to the actual test?
stuckmics is more like the test, i would even say a few are a little harder

NiaX

Trusted Contributor
Sep 28, 2009
Derby City
No paper and pencil can be used. I'm not sure what test paper Nia's referring to, but when I tested in Norfolk it was made clear that none was allowed. Also, you cannot go back to a section, you can however go back and answer questions within a section if time permits. The math, in my opinion, wasn't overly difficult. Plus with it being multiple choice questions, wrong answer elimination was key for me.
I haven't taken a test yet. I was referring to the study test that is on this site. I printed it out.

But I see that I will have to re-take the study test to time myself without paper.

Drenntho

Rookie
Feb 26, 2009
Virginia Beach
I was wondering about the analogy section... is it the standard hot is to cold and hard is to soft type of test? And has anyone found any good study material?

psachs

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago
I was wondering about the analogy section... is it the standard hot is to cold and hard is to soft type of test? And has anyone found any good study material?
The analogies are pretty cracked out. Comforting, I know. When I was studying, I found a few practice visual analogies somewhere online (completely unrelated to the AT-SAT) that were helpful. I'll dig around the intertubes tomorrow and try to find them again.

The presentation is pretty different, too. The screen is split into panels that appear as you mouse over them, so you can only see one at a time (initial pair, first half of problem pair, and possible solutions). You can go back and forth among the panels as much as you want, but you can never see them all at once.

MeinNC

Aug 20, 2009
Coastal
There are a variety of sources for help with studying.

Some nice folks here on Stucmic have created a study guide that seems to be comparable to the real test. You can find it if you go to PUBNAT 8 and look at the very top where Rosstafarri has posted.

Also, if you want to spend about $30, you can buy the Green Book from Amazon. I don't have the actual name, but just search for it on amazon and I'm sure it will come up. It's green. My husband ordered it.

Honestly, though, from all I hear, there are enough free resources for study out there, particularly the guide here on Stucmic. The green book does offer a lot of contact numbers and history of air traffic control- a lot of interesting info. If you have the time you could probably find most of that here on Stucmic, so I guess you can decide if it's worth the $30 to have it all in one place and available to you via the Green Book.

Also, I think some folks on here might be selling theirs, too, if you want to purchase a used copy.

Pinl84

Rookie
Sep 29, 2009
Hello everyone, I am taking the test in 2 weeks, up until I found the study guide here on StuckMic I was using the "green book", the questions in the math section in the green book were much harder than the questions in the StuckMic study guide and at times I even thought that the correct answers weren't listed as one of the multiple choice solutions. From what I read on the forums here, some say that the actual math questions on the test are a bit simpler than the ones on the SM study guide also, so if anyone is taking the test prior to 10/15, I would really really appreciate any insight in regards to the test, my biggest concern is not having enough time to complete the math section of the test, please do reply to this, thank you in advance to anyone who will share their thoughts regarding this.

frogboard

Newcomer
Aug 5, 2009
Will someone give a quick run down of the sections, i.e. number of questions, time, and what each are about? Thanks! By the way, yes I am lazy and just don't want to look for it.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
Will someone give a quick run down of the sections, i.e. number of questions, time, and what each are about? Thanks! By the way, yes I am lazy and just don't want to look for it.
go to the atsat info page and read...its all covered in there, this is a serious test and should be taken seriously. if you're lazy you will fail, take some initiative and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that actually get picked up OTS

here so you dont have to LOOK for it:
http://www.stuckmic.com/atc-information/7233-atsat-information.html

jamin35008

May 22, 2009
KROC
Really sounds like a good ATC applicant here! Don't fall asleep during the test!

frogboard

Newcomer
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks irishcarbomb, I won't be lazy when it comes to taking the test, I just have a hard time finding the information to know what the test is about. I appreciate your help